Your favourite roleplay genres?

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by SteerYourFate, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Archaeon
    Bookworm

Archaeon Resident Game Owner

I think I've played in pretty much every genre apart from animal. Everything from original high fantasy to star trek sims over the years. Though I tend to avoid fandom as a rule of thumb. My favourites in the past have all been fantasy games though (low or high). These days I've definitely found myself craving more urban, grungy settings though. The odd dystopian vibe. Horror elements mixed with action adventure. Occultism and modern technology. That sort of thing. There are more of them popping up these days. Sign of the times perhaps?

2. caity
    Torn

caity Newcomer

I think I've played more real life games than anything, though I prefer them with twists such as crime, etc. However, in the past couple of years I've been involved in more dystopian and urban fantasy boards than anything else.

3. Demicafatali

Demicafatali Resident Game Owner

I love science fiction, fantasy and gothic fantsay personally - with horror also in the wings.
    Naturally I love some good old "base on" stuff too, like Harry Potter, Star Trek, Silent Hill, Resident Evil... the list WILL go on.

4. Azzie

Azzie Newcomer Game Owner

I really don't have a preference. I find I need to write in different genres to keep my muse going. Right now i'm involved in historic rpg, fantasy/fairy tale, and vampire related stories.

5. Tainted Snow Queen
    Cold

Tainted Snow Queen Resident Game Owner

Stargate games are by far my favorite. Though, I am particularly picky about the games. If you have a custom universe/galaxy, I need to be able to jump into the action without reading through your *entire* archive (yes, this *has* been suggested to me when I asked a GM for a synopsis of their story and mythos). You need to not have glaring plot holes. Finding ones that surface as the game plays isn't a big deal, but when your answer to my queries about the plotholes are "It's a game, have fun" I tend to lose interest.

Death Kitten likes this.
  6. slytherinwitch

slytherinwitch Newcomer

I've only ever written in Harry Potter games, well, actually, dabbled very very briefly in Twilight. At one time, I might have considered trying my hand at something like Joker, but nothing ever came of it. My heart is still in the Harry Potter fandom. I prefer a mixture of original characters and canon characters, who bear some resemblance to the actual canon, though I don't mind some varying interpretations so long as there is a clear progression of how and why things changed for them. I guess it comes down to wanting things to make some sense and show some thought went into the story lines.

7. allybear2001

allybear2001 Newcomer Game Owner

You know what is crazy? When I was younger I ONLY played horses and now I ONLY play wolves and humans. I do not care for animal fantasy games since I have found it usually causes more issues (since it makes everyone on unequal footings), but I do love me some historical humans and supernatural, although the amount of information it takes to read to join a supernatural site is a turn off.

8. midorialexandros
    Classy

midorialexandros Newcomer Game Owner

Fantasy by far, I love a world where anything is possible.

9. Maru

Maru Newcomer

I admit, my favs tend to change as the years go by. I always tend to go back to Fantasy, HP and Pokemon though.

10. Featherstone

Featherstone Resident Game Owner

Horror, supernatural, fantasy of various kinds. I wouldn't mind a RL game who had some intriguing theme (e.g. mysteries to investigate, even without anything supernatural involved); I don't, however, find much appeal in slice of life settings where you're doing nothing special. I love the slice-of-(un)life part of my supernatural games, but if I have to hang out with humans to talk about gossip in a world not unlike my own... well, I'd rather go out of my room for once. ^^

11. Demicafatali

Demicafatali Resident Game Owner

Yeah, admittedly I can't get into that either. I jokingly call them "tea and crumpets" posts. Just sitting there shooting the shit can be boring.

12. turnpages
    Batty

turnpages Newcomer Game Owner

Fandom (particularly multi/pan), horror, supernatural, superpowers are my in wheelhouse for rping.

13. Corinthian

Corinthian Newcomer Game Owner

Presently, historical. Which is odd because I can't say it ever appealed to me (I used to play a lot of fantasy rpgs), but a few years ago some old friends of mine started up a historical and, while I resisted for a while, I liked their system and writing so much I joined. And got hooked.

And now I'm apparently all historical all the time. XD

14. Chay

Chay Newcomer Game Owner

My favorite genre is fantasy, particularly set in the medieval times or in the Renaissance. And to get even further in-depth, I prefer grittier, darker settings. Sometimes I do get an itch for other things, though: science fiction, western, horror, etc.

15. Stormhelm Kingdom

Stormhelm Kingdom Newcomer Game Owner

Definitely a fantasy medieval fantasy person, though I also enjoy urban supernatural.

16. Waug

Waug Newcomer Game Owner

Historical, but fantasy is a close second. DnD esque specifically would be among my favs!

17. LunaDeSangre

LunaDeSangre Newcomer Game Owner

I've played a ton of things but I still find myself learning towards fantasy and supernatural type roleplays. I am not a fan of playing straight humans. Mine are usually hybrid if I do not choose to play another species or have an end game for changing into something else like a vampire.

18. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

Sci-fi fandoms for the most part. I do some fantasy RPG's as well such as LOTR or Forgotten Realms

19. Fawkes

Fawkes Newcomer Game Owner

I've played in every genre in the past. Love historical and LOTR (and Hobbit) but I always seem to go back to Harry Potter.

Mim likes this.
  20. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

Never done HP, though I have to admit I wasn't a big fan of the movies and never read the books either. .. a shame ain't it? I did do a Robin Hood RPG once though.