How long have you been roleplaying?

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by Amorous, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Suijin

Suijin Fresh Blood

Play-by-Post Role-Playing Forums? ~12 years, almost 13.

2. mythus
    Spooky

mythus Newcomer Game Owner

I suppose it depends on what you mean by roleplay lol.

I first got into tabletop roleplay when I was 8, that was around 29 years ago lol. Now I feel old! Anyway, my stepdad made this small tabletop game and I had a blast with it. We were then introduced to D&D and I had fun with it too, but by the time I got into highschool I felt that there were just many parts about D&D and like games that I didn't like, so I started working on my own. It took me a long time but I finally have a tabletop game that I always wanted to play.

As far as internet roleplay goes, I was first introduced to a pbem (play by email) game back in 1999. Shortly after that I found Yahoo! Clubs and got my first taste of forum RP. I created my own Yahoo! Club at the time. I then moved to MSN Groups, Invisionfree, and finally got my own host and did my own thing. That went great for a while but life happened and I kind of got out of it all. I recently jumped back in though with a new forum rp.

3. Clockwork Galaxy
    Inspired

Clockwork Galaxy Newcomer Game Owner

I've been RPing for around 13 years, at this point. Started out on a little Yuku HP site to kill boredom during my first full-time office job, but branched into such an incredible long-term hobby. Though, I have been writing little stories here and there since I was a little, little kid so it wasn't too much of a stretch.

4. dragonwriter

dragonwriter Newcomer Game Owner

Around 13 years-ish. Started with Dragonriders of Pern, and still in it.

5. SpiritMafia

SpiritMafia Newcomer Game Owner

I got my start e-fedding in 2004. It's been on and off since then, but yeah about 13 years.

6. PipertheHyena

PipertheHyena Newcomer Game Owner

Longer than some of you have been alive

7. STFMAC
    Amazed

STFMAC Newcomer

I've been roleplaying for almost 9 years now. I don't think I could ever not.

8. Hiccup
    Insomnious

Hiccup Newcomer Game Owner

I've been RPing since I was...Dang...Like Middleschool? Maybe 11-12? At first it was just AIM chat RPs with my friend, then we found Furcadia and did RPs there, then I put together our first kind of personal Proboards forum that was just for us to RP on and we used that for YEARS. I've been on a lot of forum RPs between then and now, with my friend and then with full forums!

9. Syndehy

Syndehy Newcomer Game Owner

I've been roleplaying since I was 10, so about... 20 years now?

10. Nixie

Nixie Newcomer Game Owner

About 10 years, give or take a few months and it hasn't been consistent!

11. John Hurt
    Caffeine Fix

John Hurt Newcomer

about 10 years now

12. TakodaVega
    Caffeine Fix

TakodaVega Newcomer

I have been roleplaying in various forms (Tabletop, forum, chat etcetc) for about 20 years now ^_^ It's been my gateway to everything and certainly an outlet to destress.

13. SirArchangel

SirArchangel Newcomer Game Owner

It feels like forever. o_o Since the early 00s, so.. 15 years, maybe? For some stupid reason I deleted most of my old AvidGamers emails before 2005. :(

14. Archivist
    Balanced

Archivist Resident Game Owner

25 years! WOW, where does the time go?

I first learned about RPG from the Tom Hanks movie Mazes and Monsters, then the kid's cartoon Dungeons & Dragons. I didn't really know where it came from until I found my sister's books on the dining table one night. She snatched them up saying "only cool kids play this game" She was a mean girl.

I heard about it over the years - finally getting involved in 1992. We used the TSR table top system. Then moved over to the White Wolf collection. From there it was a jump to LARP in 1996. Then it was the AOL chat room X-men RPGs, I found this more to my liking because it was creative writing.

In 2000 / 2001 - looking for a new outlet, I discovered this Trek Site " Fed-Intel " (now defunct). This was my gateway into play-by-post forum RPG - I found my niche. I decided to set up my own, based on and using my characters from the AOL chat games.

My current website is the 2nd incarnation of the group (forum style) and began in 2003. I have been managing this site since.

15. Hebe
    Dreaming

Hebe Newcomer Game Owner

I've been role playing since the mid-90's. Most of my gaming is online, but I've occasionally played by table top.

16. Calhoun
    Spooky

Calhoun Newcomer Game Owner

2o years or thereabouts. I take breaks now and then, though.

17. Mister Karma
    Lurking

Mister Karma Resident Game Owner

10 years now?
    I started in 07 with my now girlfriend's website way back in the day that just really got the ball rolling. By the way, I don't know if anyone heard of it before, but has anyone ever been part of an Invisionfree board called Shattered Army or Final Dynasty? Asking out of morbid curiosity, those were huge names back in the day.

18. Hebe
    Dreaming

Hebe Newcomer Game Owner

"Back in the day"??? Wasn't 2007 just a couple years ago?

Calhoun likes this.
  19. Calhoun
    Spooky

Calhoun Newcomer Game Owner

Honestly I thought the same thing... where does time go??

20. Mister Karma
    Lurking

Mister Karma Resident Game Owner

...I'm the Grampa friend apparently lol