How do you choose a thread title?

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by KatherineEspair, Aug 9, 2014.

1. fishbulb
    Bookworm

fishbulb Newcomer Game Owner

I'm pretty bad at titles. I try to pick something that fits with the setting/topic of the RP, but if nothing comes to mind - a song lyric, usually whatever song inspires me while I'm writing for that character.

2. fiftyblackroses

fiftyblackroses Newcomer Game Owner

This is definitely something I struggle with the most! Usually I pick from song lyrics or titles, but I saw someone mention they use poetry. I really like that idea!

3. Kendra

Kendra Newcomer

My titles usually come after I've typed the starter. I consider them a sort of hint as to what the post is about.

4. RedSky
    Bored

RedSky Newcomer Game Owner

Song lyrics or just whatever comes to mind

5. kiki8893

kiki8893 Fresh Blood

I also type the starter first, then try and find some sort of phrase in the post I like to use. Or, if there isn't anything, I google "Phrases with" and then add a random word I think represents the post. Rhyme Zone has named many of my threads haha!

6. Pox924

Pox924 Newcomer

In my game, we have a song theme for each gameday and thread titles are chosen from the lyrics. We try to match the theme to what's happening in that gameday too, just to tie it in a little bit.

7. Bowie

Bowie Newcomer Game Owner

typically its from my head or if I got no thoughts I go with songs / lyrics that can fit the theme

8. AlmaMont

AlmaMont Newcomer Game Owner

I look at my spotify Liked songs, and see if any speaks to me. Otherwise, I begin to listen to Diablo Swing Orchestra and pick out a line that seems to work. Tbh, I don't give thread titles THAT much weight or thought. It's what's on the inside that counts.

9. Johnny
    Cowboy

Johnny Newcomer Game Owner

I usually snipe song lyrics, but sometimes I’m struck with a random snap of prose I wouldn’t be able to use anywhere else

10. Kiwi

Kiwi Newcomer

Honestly just the first words that come to mind, often quite cliche phrases or song lyric titles! For some characters I have a list of quotes or song lyrics that relate to their personality; for others I just go with whatever!

11. I used to try really hard for good thread titles but after twenty years I stopped caring and now i make bangers like "cheez-its"

12. storynsong

storynsong Newcomer

Alright this got me laughing.
    I'm a fan of the, one or two vague, broad words that can pretty much describe anything about the thread. Like, "it's true" could work for a sad thread or a romantic thread. just as an example.

Song titles/lyrics are good sometimes, but man, does anyone else lose HOURS on Spotify trying to find The Perfect One? Can only do that when there's time to spare.

Artemis89 likes this.
  13. This is why I try to limit myself from using quotes or lyrics, because I will get LOST in the rabbit hole

14. I struggle so badly trying to balance describing what the thread is about and making it interesting. Puns, wordplay, and quotes are my go-to. But I'm terrible at it.

15. Honestly I sometimes google “random song lyric” and stick a year on the end of that.

16. Cirago
    Overworked

Cirago Resident Patron

song lyrics are always reliable - even if it takes 30 minutes to find the right mix of tone and length to stay within the character limit!

I'm partial to puns, myself, especially for threads that will be lighter in tone :3

Or sometimes I'm able to come up with a phrase that alludes to the tone I'm trying to set without being too specific. That's a lot more work, though, unless I get hit with an epiphany!

17. Siren

Siren Newcomer Game Owner

I mainly use song lyrics. I just try to find something that fits the vibe of what I think the thread will be. If it's just a random thread, then it's just random lyrics.

18. Rayo
    Insomnious

Rayo Newcomer

I like to use random lyrics. Usually it will be from whatever song I happen to be listening to, but for particularly emotional threads, I might hand-pick a specific song!

19. sef
    Yeehaw

sef Newcomer

usually by a song that is playing or just make it up. randomly

20. knifeskunk

knifeskunk Newcomer

I swear 9/10 times for me it's just song lyrics, or a line I want to use in the thread at some point. Also bad puns. I had a thread once concerning a leaked video tape exposing somebody's evil plot and it was called "Playback is a B*tch* and everyone hated me for it.