How do you choose a thread title?

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by KatherineEspair, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Fallyn
    Bashful

Fallyn Newcomer

I'm a dork, I usually use song titles/lyrics. I'll go out of my way to try and find something that fits the theme of the thread, and then I'll listen to it while I post. Since my board is speckled with song lyrics, I also end up singing everything time I browse the index page...

Elena and Shriker like this.
  2. lion
    Classy

lion Newcomer

It definitely depends on the content of the thread for me. If it's going to be a "walk in the part" type of thread, then that's what I'm going to call it. There's no use making randomness sound interesting, because it isn't lol. If it's a more dramatic thread, I usually try to think of something punny. I like it when people use song titles or lyrics, because those often give that dramatic vibe to the thread. But I usually make up my own titles haha

3. I usually go with whatever song I am listening to at the time I write the thread. Whatever lyrics in the song fit the thread that I am creating usually become the name of the thread. It works well sometimes.

4. Something that would essentially describe the scene or its purpose. The more alluring, the better - usually has some sort of alliteration or poetic rhyme to it.

5. AngelMT

AngelMT Newcomer

I usually try to pick a central theme in one or two words. Then I research that word and try to find it in religion and poetry, etc. That generally gives my titles some point of reference. I typically make a metaphor out of the title.

lyrebird likes this.
  6. Baphomet

Baphomet Newcomer

Either song lyrics or a single title word that relates to the content in some way.

7. Anactoria
    Batty

Anactoria Newcomer Game Owner

I usually use song lyrics or lines from poetry, though I'll use a descriptive phrase that has something to do with what's going on in the opening post.

8. Khaki

Khaki Newcomer

I usually just pick a word from the world around me. Sometimes I'll use a song lyric that's been stuck in my head.

9. Ammut
    Dr Pepper Addict

Ammut DTD's Resident Cat Lady Game Owner

Song lyrics 98% of the time. They have to be appropriate to the setting/situation, though. No love song quotes when something bad is going down.

If it's just a technology/rapid fire thread, however, I might just use something obvious or goofy.

Elena likes this.
  10. RaWolfe
    Woot

RaWolfe Resident Game Owner

The title of a post is most likely bound by the information I write into it. When I am posting a thread where more than one soul is in it, I most of the time already have a title that fits the story.

Elena likes this.
  11. The first thing I do is site there, staring at my newly-finished post with an empty title. Then I internally scream a little.

After that, I might read through the post again and see if there was anything hidden in all those words that could work as a thread title. More often than not, I'll be lazy and take something from a song that would work.

lyrebird likes this.
  12. It can sometimes depend on a character. One character I have all but one of the threads I started for him had the word Adventure or Adventurer in the title... because he liked Adventures and saw every opportunity and meeting as one. Otherwise I pick something from a song or poem, etc, especially if it feels right for the thread.

lyrebird likes this.
  13. If varies thread to thread, but usually somehow relates to what's going on in the first post.

14. DJVoxel
    Fine

DJVoxel Newcomer Game Owner

Puns, puns, and less noticible puns. Because it works.

15. Scoglads

Scoglads Newcomer

I honestly think of a witty saying or phrase.

16. Kieran

Kieran Resident Game Owner

I wish titles would just magically make themselves up.
    But I do often finally manage to come up with something suitable from the basic plot or idea we usually have planned before starting. Sometimes, though rarely, I end up changing it at a later point into something better. But yeah, I mostly source it from the idea or plot of the event. Sometimes I use a few words from a song if the line somehow fits...That's the easy way out that I'd rather not take because it makes the title a bit unoriginal.

Elena likes this.
  17. cattigan
    Caffeine Fix

cattigan Newcomer Game Owner

I really mostly use lyrics.. I have a set of songs for each of my characters, and usually also choose a song based on the plot, so it tends to be fairly indicative of the thread's happenings..

18. europeanlass
    Badass

europeanlass Newcomer Game Owner

I honestly just come up with them on the spot. Guess muse works like that ;P

19. Trisfinn

Trisfinn Newcomer

I usually either pick a quote from within my starter post, a song lyric/title, or some kind of reference that I think applies to the thread.

20. circe
    Amazed

circe Newcomer Game Owner

I use a combination of song titles, lyrics, favourite quotes and if they don't work I try to use word associations with the threads key themes! :)