Hosting Providers

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by wickedleaf, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Lure Master

Lure Master Resident Game Owner

I use ServInt, love them. There support is fast, and second to none. They even troubleshot a connection error to my site I had that had nothing to do with them (telco problem).

2. Applewood

Applewood Newcomer

I use Web hosting Canada(WHC.ca), who offers fairly competitive hosting pricing for those of us north of the border.

Many U.S. users have noted they weren't 100% Comfortable subscribing for this service, as they claim to enforce Canada's anti-cyber bullying laws, which many Americans aren't 100% sure what that covers.

They offer fairly competitive price ranges(with 50GB+ Disk spaces, no bandwidth, email address, or database limits), and offer a "free" .ca address(If you cancel your service, you'll have to pay for the address registration, however you get to bring it with you to a new provider.)

They also have "instant install" features for invision/Phpbb boards(Among others) and have a very snappy, and responsive cpanel.

These accounts are not reseller accounts, meaning you can't charge for subdomain hosting(Though you can ask for donations), though they also offer reseller accounts.

I have also attempted to use Mocha Host. Don't do that. Their CPanel is sluggish, and their SQL(Database) servers crash multiple times per hour. The only good thing I can say of this provider is thus; Their cancellation customer service is prompt.

I do, occasionally, agree to sub domain host Nova websites for people, at no charge, using WHC, but do require an agreement with a "Community Safeguards Agreement" that has simplified much of Canada's anti-cyberbullying, and the currently pending in Senate, anti-LGBT+ discrimination bills.

3. Lure Master

Lure Master Resident Game Owner

@Applewood, I may check them out. My server is in the US. At the time, when I was looking for a server provider, any located in Canada seemed a lot more pricey at the time. I met one provider personally (6 years ago?) and when he found out my provider was in the US he actually got mad, lol. He lectured me about buying Canadian, I said sure, when your prices match the prices in the States. Same thing with domain names, Canadian companies always charged 50% more. It's not due to the Canadian dollar, was at par, or valued higher, than the US dollar at the time.