Have you ever had an account deleted for inactivity?

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by Shriker, Apr 3, 2016.

?

Have you ever had an account deleted for inactivity?

1. Yes, and I was aware of the site's inactivity policy

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Yes, and I was not aware of the site's inactivity policy

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Nope

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. I am not sure

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. BobbyB
    Adorable

BobbyB Resident Game Owner

I voted no, but I actually can't say for sure? I outlived a few sites but I've also not been on so many sites for so long... I dunno what they did with my account by now :")

2. Paulpatine

Paulpatine Newcomer Game Owner

Yes, posted a few months, and then events of life overtook me. Got a warning PM but it was hard to post since the main group didn't really have characters that intersected with mine. No harm, no foul, and I left.

3. kismetdivided

kismetdivided Newcomer Game Owner

For my own site, I will e-mail all the inactive accounts that are subscribed to receiving e-mails from admins and give them a couple heads-up throughout a month period. If they aren't subscribed to receiving e-mails, then there's no way I can give them a heads-up that our clean out is happening and their accounts will be deleted. I do keep all threads and profiles in archives that people can't see (my former mod suggested it to prevent theft), so if they ever wanted to pop in and say "hey, I'd like my profiles," I have them on hand and can give 'em to them. With the host I use, it's also easy for them to make new accounts and me to change the author of their original posts (e.g. profiles) to their new accounts, so nothing is ever really truly lost.

4. TheOasis
    Zorro

TheOasis Newcomer Game Owner

Sure have, I've even let them know about why I'd be gone and they booted me anyway. I also used to lurk and never say anything on another site and was booted from there, too lol

5. sora
    Dreaming

sora Newcomer Game Owner

I'm an admin on a site that deletes inactive accounts. We have a process to it though, so you never get deleted without a head's up a month prior. When a character goes inactive, the member has 30 days to get them active again (we have requirements to get reactivated, especially for repeat offenders.). But when we see someone hasn't been around for a while we'll always try to reach out to them to see how things are going, and let them know that they are about to become inactive. If you still don't get the character active within 30 days, then they get deleted.

If someone is on hiatus though, we exempt them (If you tell us you are going on hiatus a few days before your accounts become inactive that really won't save you from being inactive though, because that's just a cop out).

Basically, on my site you've been given plenty of warning before an account is deleted.

6. Somniac
    Busy

Somniac Resident Game Owner

Not to my knowledge, though I did have my posts hidden out of public access on one that I'd been thinking of rejoining before I realized that.

I wouldn't join a site that I knew would do that. History is important to me, and the option to come and go without losing all my work is non-negotiable.

7. Lancar
    Moonlighting

Lancar Newcomer

I am a site/server owner, and I make sure give an ample of notice before I remove any account (1 month). If you wish to be inactive, but you still want to give it a go, you can be courteous and at least say something before going missing. Saves us from great deal of confusion and cluttering.

8. Somniac
    Busy

Somniac Resident Game Owner

In sites I haven't managed to integrate into in one round, I'm not always certain whether (let alone when) that might change. If I don't have a lot of connections, I don't see the point in making a huge announcement. Additionally, if there are going to be punitive measures for not having a consecutive presence there, and things regularly get deleted, I'm going to view my presence as just as disposable as my posts and account and am unlikely to get invested on that alone.

Different folks, different strokes. That said, I think it's rude to imply that someone is discourteous over missing a check-in. One thing is a potentially temporary happenstance that catches a lot of us with hectic real lives (there have been times I've been unexpectedly without internet access for months, for instance); the other is permanent destruction of someone's work.

9. Lancar
    Moonlighting

Lancar Newcomer

I guess you're right. I own a Discord server, and it's easy to see who is still in the server and who's left for good. If they left and don't say anything prior to leaving, usually I won't bother and after few weeks of waiting I'll move the character into graveyard and consider them dead in an 'event'. In my RP server, we do a lore-driven story (not a one-off RP) so it's best for other players. We usually communicate OOC to make sure miscommunication doesn't happen, and the players can connect each other better.

10. Drew
    Adorable

Drew Newcomer Game Owner

Maybe once or twice? Always on places I just didn't quite click with.

11. Grimscythe
    Spaced

Grimscythe Newcomer Game Owner

I'm one of those ones that I won't hesitate to drop an RP if the environment doesn't suit me. This has led to me failing an inactivity check not once, but three times for the same site. Honestly, I just really loved the site, but it wasn't for me. I was hoping a "third time's the charm" experience, but yeah. That didn't work.

12. FizzyElf
    Caffeine Fix

FizzyElf Newcomer Game Owner

Not yet, as far as I know... I am one one site with a two-months-no-posts account deletion policy, even if you're active with your other characters, which strikes me as a bit much, but I've never been on a site that didn't have at least one rule I hated so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It kinda makes sense for canon characters, to let someone else take them if you're not using them, but they extend it to OCs too.

I've never been on a site that will just delete or retcon all of your posts when you leave - oh, WURR might. I never really got a good grasp on their activity rules while I was there.

13. As far as I know, I never have had that problem. But, then again, if I stopped using the site there were high chances I wasn't returning. I typically use a specific email for all my accounts that I don't check frequently. It's just so I have everything in one place to make it easier to change passwords if I have trouble remembering login details.