Have you ever had a character die in game?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Shriker, Dec 10, 2013.

1. lion
    Classy

lion Newcomer

Whether in my novels or RPs, characters have to die. It's a fact of life. I try to make their deaths meaningful, since fiction doesn't have to be as senseless and pointless as the real world can be sometimes. I think my saddest character death to date was one who died because she used her magical abilities to the point where it broke down her body. She had to do what she could to save her friends, but it was really painful to see her go because she was a beautiful, snarky, fun character and I loved her a lot.

Elena likes this.
  2. Vastrix

Vastrix Newcomer

Die during a game? Yes. Most normally because the Game Master is tired of my shit and made sure the character died.

lyrebird and Elena like this.
  3. Twisted

Twisted Newcomer

Ok I know this is a tad late but since I am new, I figured I would post anyhow :) I actually created a character for a plot where he would die in the end. The first character I will ever kill off lol I've never had any of them die before, though I've put one of my favorites through hell and back, but he's still kicking!

4. I've had at least one character die in game. He was a six year old wolf and leader and founder of the pack Qixak, Noel Kringle. Icly he was an age where some wolves die as not all of them make it to 10 or older and some don't even make it to 8 in the wild. He was sick and died and his adopted daughter Rayne took over Qixak. I don't recall if there were others save in one where a kiss of life could save them if they'd not been dead too long like within 72 hours.

5. Nope. I've had a few close calls in the form of unlucky rolls, but always either just scraped by or got a bit of GM leniency (which I never ask for and would honestly prefer not to receive, but that's another story). I did have one old lady who was on the way out, but sadly the site beat her to the door. I like to think that she quietly passed in her sleep, anyway. She earned it.

I have one character at the moment who was almost designed to die in a spectacular and probably incredibly stupid fashion. I would put money on him being my first. It will be sad because he's a whole lot of fun to play, but when you make a character with literally no sense of self-preservation, you have to expect it.

6. Anactoria
    Batty

Anactoria Newcomer Game Owner

I've had characters die before. One of my favorite characters was burnt at the stake for witchcraft, after being horribly tortured. I had originally planned out something completely different for her, but the way chips fell IC... it had to happen. So I ran with it. It was very fun, in a sick sort of way.

I also have a character right now who I'm planning on killing in a spectacularly awful fashion. Right now I'm working on getting people emotionally attached to them. >:}

Elena likes this.
  7. BlueSalix
    Daring

BlueSalix Fresh Blood

I've made tons of destined to die characters over the years. I currently have some plans in store as well... I'm not at all adversed to IC death, when it's fitting and offers impact to the story. Death also can be a satisfying end game depending upon the characters.

To name a few..

One character I had die IC because it seemed like the best ending she could have. Her life had been lived to see her children safe, after the death of her beloved husband. She achieved her goals, and had contracted a coughing illness. She died peacefully, her fading conscious drawing upon meeting her beloved in the afterlife a reunion long overdue.

I had a comedy character die on a solo mission to save his girlfriend, it was actually quite hilarious, and one of the best IC moments I had with that character.

I also had a character die saving his friends during a space dogfight, it was very emotional and really brought impact to the lives of other characters. That character died a lot quicker than originally intended, and I didn't get to develop him as much as I wanted, but seeing the impact and character development it brought to other characters, I couldn't really regret the choice.

Of most recent, I killed off a character Romeo and Juliet style with another player's character. It made sense for where IC was leading, as neither was happy and being faced with futures they couldn't control. We had hoped to actually play off the chemistry between the two characters and develop them long term... But in the game this was impossible so we settled for the next best thing, having them joined in a decision to leave behind the cruel world they were tied to. The thread itself was a pleasure to write {even if it caused unforeseen issues OOC and was not well taken -_-}.

I have tons more of IC deaths that have memorable moments, but I'm noticing how long this post is already. Lol

Elena likes this.
  8. I was going to kill one of my characters but the roleplay went defunct before I had the chance. It was about time in the plot for him to move on. I think it's pretty reasonable overall.

Elena likes this.
  9. DJVoxel
    Fine

DJVoxel Newcomer Game Owner

I've only had one character die, and it was completely plot-driven since he had almost achieved world domination.

SlumLord and Elena like this.
  10. Nen

Nen Newcomer

Over the years, I've had a bunch of characters die. The strangest thing though, in the first RP community i joined which was a yakuza game, i had an assassin character who had a huge IC kill count. It was like people came to him to die. So strange. ;0

11. Scoglads

Scoglads Newcomer

Totally- and it was AWESOME. You have to plan it out with the site's plot. Otherwise it feels totally cheap and terrible (like a punishment).

12. Stormblade

Stormblade Newcomer

mass slaughters, delicate dishes of evisceration, one character got an arrow nicking her heart and slowly bled out. I haven't actually killed many of my main characters BUT I am extremely cruel to them. :D

13. SlumLord
    Benevolent

SlumLord Newcomer Game Owner

How did they die?
    Space ship they were on exploded.

Were they a beloved character of yours?
    Yep, my main dude. T.T

Was there an OOC reason behind their death (bored of them, no time, etc.), or was it entirely plot driven?
    Plot driven.

But I should reveal that the 'death' was a huge cheat. The character had been cloned, and the two clones had split off and done different things. One eventually died in this way, the other survived a mundane existence. Not only is it a rip off of Farscape's season 3 arc, but it's cheating because they died ... but not really. :P

Scoglads and Elena like this.
  14. Ciel

Ciel Newcomer

Yes! And it was SO FUN TO PLAY! Granted, it was planned. The charrie really wasn't fitting well for me, so I offered for someone to off her. It was great, and by planning it, we were able to create a cool story arch around it that in turn helped another two characters ;)

15. Several. It definitely happens. The worst one was when my character was climbing a ladder and got his head slashed off when he reached the top.

Elena likes this.
  16. Wyvern1

Wyvern1 Newcomer

Most of my characters that die are murdered

17. Kieran

Kieran Resident Game Owner

I don't have the heart to kill my OCs, or maybe it's more essentially that I usually like them so much that I start planning and writing their whole entire life which means their death is the last thing on the list and can take countless years to get to, if ever getting that far.
    As my OC characers aren't RPG characters in essence, but fanfiction characters, the RPG they might be in is merely a spice and partially an alternate universe existence to them.

But I had the Harry Potter character Barty Crouch Jr. killed once. I love him to bits, which is why I altered the canon vision and had him somehow escape from Hogwarts...don't remember how anymore...I think Snape had something to do with it as it was back when Rowling hadn't yet revealed that he's actually a hero...anyway, and so I had Barty Jr. live on for a bit longer.

I think I had him killed after all because my vision took him eventually further away from Voldemort resulting in him planning to betray the Dark Lord. Which in turn resulted in Voldemort torturing and killing the young man. (For those who know the Harry Potter books and remember how Barty Jr. was at the end of Goblet of Fire, I actually do have a believable path to that betrayal vision of mine. If you're interested, feel free to visit my fan site for Barty Jr. called "In Memoriam of Barty Crouch Jr.")

My Barty is still alive, though. That was just in that one RPG which is long gone.

18. PsySneks
    Badass

PsySneks Newcomer Game Owner

Well I was part of a RP where the dead came to life with weird powers as Deadwalkers. Though my character more protected them, I decided to make him die protecting one of them, then came back a few minutes later to intervene once again but as a Deadwalker himself. Does this count?

19. Archaeon
    Bookworm

Archaeon Resident Game Owner

I actually created a character once for the sole purpose of killing him off dramatically further down the line. I had this particular story arc in mind and the group I was with at the time was the perfect place to play it out. Except the character also got embroiled in a whole slew of other plots as well (unintentionally in some cases) and when I finally did kill him off (whilst taking out a good portion of the city in the process – this was a high fantasy site and there was a huge magical battle involving Gods and Heroes) people complained. They had grown attached to him. He'd gotten married (for convenience) had a child (sort of) and made good friends. So, I actually reincarnated him in a fashion and he still lingers on in the group 10 years later. Which I guess means that I still haven't managed to really kill one off after all...

Elena likes this.
  20. Death Kitten
    Kickass

Death Kitten Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Game Owner

Not a personal character, but I named an npc after Kenny on South Park, and put him in a traditional "red shirt" role on an away mission... And my players were still shocked when he died.