Have you ever had a character die in game?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Shriker, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

How did they die? Were they a beloved character of yours? Was there an OOC reason behind their death (bored of them, no time, etc.), or was it entirely plot driven?

2. Kitsufox
    Caffeine Fix

Kitsufox Resident Game Owner

Yes. On CoSC the cats have fairly short lifespans (the live completely feral lives) and rarely top 5-6 years old. I've had several pass on, including Bloodstar. Bloodstar was created at the start of the game and killing him off was a matter of the game needing a change, and his age was going to become a problem soon... So I killed him off...

Though in the Warriors fandom we cheat. The dead aren't truly dead and can appear as spirits from time to time in plots. Since Bloodstar was a leader and well known (though not well liked outside his Clan) he's one of those cats that I'm sure will show back up from time to time.

3. To date, I have not, but that possibility is more than likely going to happen to me in January. I'll be traveling abroad for a few months during the spring and my current character on RoW is almost 6 years old. She is the longest, consistently played character on the game (3 years and a half years) and in her lifetime has become a pack leader, had 3 different litters for a total of 8 kids, mourned the deaths/absent of 4 of the, lost two mates, and numerous best friends.

She is by far one of my most developed and loved characters, and it will be really hard to let her go. Her position in the game and all the connections she has makes it difficult for me to continue to play her while I'm abroad (since I won't be active enough for leadership), but for those same reasons are making it quite tough to come to terms with the fact that in about a month, she'll need to make her final, and only feasible, exit. I also play a son of her's, but it won't be the same.

midorialexandros and Kitsufox like this.
  4. Zozma
    Unlucky

Zozma Spider Demon Game Owner

Chimera was killed by a blow to the back of the head by a mysterious assailant.
    Xiaofan was strangled to death.
    Ok Shim was murdered by his own brother.

But these happened in the Nightmare realm...

I also had a character commit suicide and it was entirely plot driven. Another was a villain, who deserved his death. All my deaths are plot driven. I don't like killing somebody off just because I'm bored. I'd rather find a new use for the character than kill them off and sometimes that just means setting them aside until they're needed or wanted for another plot.

Elena likes this.
  5. Kitsufox
    Caffeine Fix

Kitsufox Resident Game Owner

@moosetracks114 I know what you're talking about. The connection to the dead character is super nice, but it certainly isn't the same. (I play a daughter of Bloodstar, and and the offspring of his adopted daughter [Adopted Grandson, maybe?])

@Zozma I personally don't consider villains dying for a plot to be loosing a character... more... Completing the story that character was meant to tell. There's a certain power in the story of a villain coming full circle.

Zozma likes this.
  6. Elena
    Arthritic

Elena Resident Game Owner

My reasons for characters dying were plot related exclusively. Most of them die in a fight. Few executed. Secondary characters might die of an illness too.

Zozma likes this.
  7. Danjeresque

Danjeresque Newcomer

Awe man. I've had a good number of characters die in-game. I don't see anyone from the sites I was on at the time, but the first ever was my leader type character. His wifey for lifey had been raped, and had a son. And my dude didn't want to lose face in front of his kingdom so they lied to everyone and said the kid was his. And later, when the pseudo-son discovered the truth he totally just, straight up murdered my dude. It was all pre-planned, but I think it was by far the most intense thread I've ever had been a part of.

Zozma and Elena like this.
  8. Yeah, I've had quite a few die, and I plan to have many more die later. Pretty much all the deaths were for the good of a story or character arc, except for two. One character I killed off shortly after his introduction simply because the other characters were ignoring him for the most part, and I decided I wanted to withdraw from that RP for a little while. Another much later was a time when I allowed another author to kill my character, just so I could make a point about not-liking invincible main characters.

Not too long ago I actually created a couple characters with the intention of killing them off later... though I've grown pretty attached to them and am now wondering if I actually want to go through with that, lol.

9. Helixagon

Helixagon Resident Game Owner

I've had characters die on sites where death is not really the end. If I have had characters die permanently, it was from personal choice and a desire for closure. There's only so many years you can carry on a story from a character you started as a teenager.

10. Novelty

Novelty Newcomer

LOL. I'm with Danjeresque, here. I've had oodles of characters die - probably close to 15 or more, without a doubt. :| A few of them have been for OOC reasons, but others have been killed in crazy battles. Probably the one that hurt the most was one of my first successful "birth to death" characters. She went to war with her brother and father. They used a really massive magical power involving magma and, to ensure their enemy died, she held him down in the lava and died, herself. Granted, like... twenty characters died in that thread, haha.

I feel like having characters die unexpectedly makes the roleplay ( whichever site you happen to be on ) more unexpected, surprisingly, and overall fun o:

Elena likes this.
  11. Claire

Claire Resident

Oh yeah, I love killing them. As with anything is has to be natural for the plot, but when the chance comes I enjoy it. :P

12. Dawnmist

Dawnmist Newcomer

Hundreds. I'm pretty scary when it comes to killing characters off.

13. I've roleplayed relatively few characters compared to most, but all of them die, or will die, at the end. I haven't ever truly retired a character without killing them, and I don't like killing a character "off-screen." (I've only done so once and that's a character I forget I had a lot.)

My character Laruku's death was the hardest to handle for me as he's still the character I've RP'd for the longest amount of time consecutively. IC-wise, it would have actually made more sense, or been a better story, if he had died earlier than he did, but I dragged it out because I didn't want to let go. I think character death has always been kind of weird for me because it's always a combination of OOC and IC motivation. Ultimately, my OOC motivation to play them (or lack thereof) anymore ties in a lot with how they're during ICly... haha I dunno. Laruku's death was around a rough time for me personally, as was Kiriska's death four years before him, so I guess it's inevitable that I felt really emotional about offing them.

Elena likes this.
  14. I have had a few but it's always the first that hurts the most, right? It was a beloved character, had a great story, lots of people were involved and it broke my heart. I couldn't eat or sleep for days. As it turns out the death was ruled illegal due to the rules of the game. The person doing the killing had assumed the identity of someone else's character. Phew! After that though, I purposely plotted the deaths of a few of my characters. One died in a fight, one died being crushed by slabs of marble, and another died by a snow avalanche. I can still remember her wide violet eyes! ;)

Elena likes this.
  15. espatier

espatier Newcomer

Yes.. like many I've had characters die. But for me I hope that I have a good death and that it reminds us that while traveling in a group or alone that death is not far

Elena likes this.
  16. LithiYum

LithiYum Newcomer

Oh God.
    Killing my characters off in story is kind of my guilty pleasure, but I like to get myself and my partner attached to them. And when I say 'attached' I mean, I'm bawling writing out the scene.

I have a Lycanthrope character in a very extensive storyline with a long time partner that was killed in a rescue. It was purely plot driven, honestly. It created a huge character change in a few characters, and it kind of brought some things to light about these characters.

Ready for the sad part?
    I'd waited so long to off the character, and had both my partner and myself so attached to her, that we actually had to formulate a way to bring her back, because we both felt almost depressed to write without her. xD:

Elena likes this.
  17. Mydlas

Mydlas Newcomer

I had 2 ocs to die in game.

One of them was a warrior, god I loved him but he was over 66 years old and starting to get weak with scars piling up over and over each other. I decided to end his misery, but the ppl dropped the rp in the middle... heartbreaking me IC.

The first one I played died to go in Hell and come back, it was a plot issue and his death was on the saddest part, for he slowly bled out and the others were trying to revive him as it was too late, then the roots took him underground. It was a very funny one, but sometimes rp-ing feels is hard on the others.

The last one died of an old age, from natural cause: a lion, 12 years of age.

18. Nerf Herder
    Inspired

Nerf Herder Newcomer

I've had a fair few characters die in game. Most weren't any favorites of mine, although I have killed a few of my favorites off. I usually kill a character off because there is almost nothing left for them to do or accomplish on the board because of how long they've been there. Of course, I did have this one character of mine (can't think of his name though) killed off because it ended up starting a major board-wide conflict....although it hadn't been intended to start as big a conflict as it ended up being. All in all, do I regret any of my characters dying off, no, not really, they all played their part on the boards they were on.

19. Rhythm

Rhythm Newcomer

I've killed 3 of my characters thus far, 2 on a Walking Dead RP in order to further the plot and 1 on a Harry Potter RP after the character died in the movie (which we were basing the plot on).

20. Gypsy

Gypsy Newcomer

I've killed off one character permanently during an event on a site. And I've killed off one of the personalities that another of my characters have but he comes back.