Character Hobbies

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Meushell, Sep 3, 2013.

1. KaiozKeitaro

KaiozKeitaro Fresh Blood

My character loves ladies, old antique equipment, adventures, etc. Note: All of these are based off my real life personality.

Elena likes this.
  2. Shaman110

Shaman110 Newcomer

I have a few characters but the one I generally use and basically the only one I put serious effort into enjoys keeping in shape(jogging, push ups, sit ups, eating healthy ect.) and meditation (mental health as well as physical).

3. Miss Astro

Miss Astro Newcomer

I only have two charries on my site so far, ones a bad-ass ship captain fleeing from the mafia. She likes collecting old photographs. My other is a street rat who just likes street art...

It's less random than I've made out though

4. Skysails

Skysails Newcomer Game Owner

I feel like this is super important, because a hobby can tell a lot about you!

For my peeps they vary, but for the most interesting ones I'll include their bios. Be warned..the first one is a doozy.

Laurent, he's very strange. Like unorthodox in every way. He collects bones and organs. He's obsessed with the human body. He is twisted. He will probably be burnt in the town square, but normal is boring!

Aurore, she doesn't really have time for hobbies but being a woman in 18th century she is expected to have many. She just…would much rather be keeping books than sewing.

Jian, he has a million hobbies but his favorite is collecting things that remind him of the people that have come and gone in his life.

Elena likes this.
  5. Ayryn

Ayryn Fresh Blood

This is a great question. As for Ayryn it is probably taking care of things. Like feeding hungry dogs, gardening, or offering someone medicine.

6. LordAo

LordAo Newcomer

Hobbies are great! They can really breathe life into the character. I once wrote a character who practiced horticulture, botany, and wood carving. Altogether boring subjects, but they really brought out the wise old pensiveness (Near Jean-Luc Picard-ness now that I look back) that really defined his personality.

7. Pisces

Pisces Newcomer

Kenshin plays the piano and Isoya loves to run.

8. Vastrix

Vastrix Newcomer

My main character, "Firestorm" Johnathan Mills a pro wrestler by trade, but he also erm...games as a hobby. Yu-Gi-Oh being his specialty, any pen and paper or ccg will do. Though there has been an interest in late of "Boss Monster".

Elena likes this.
  9. Janet
    Fiendish

Janet Newcomer

I have a large number of characters but some of my most active ones are as follows:

Noe - his hobby is painting and he's slowly getting much better at it.
    Gui - his hobby is reading, particularly adventure novels.
    Iulus - his hobby is fencing

Elena likes this.
  10. Etro
    Masquerade

Etro Newcomer

I know one of my character's known as Mobobo was a scholar who studied the ways of magic, language and lore.

Elena likes this.
  11. Stormblade

Stormblade Newcomer

Tempest -loots, kills, drowns people and tosses them off ships, surfing with her kraken

Vivis- dances, plays violen, plays a really convincing garden statue when left out in the sun

Havran- dressing very snazzy, mindblows people by showing them around the universe in his gaze, then pisses them off by telling them close held secrets.

I could go on as i have wayyy to many people in my head.

12. Hobbies are something I've actually only just started considering with any seriousness, despite having had my current characters for quite a while - some for over a year, now.

My ex-military mercenary lady likes drinking, collecting a huge amount of guns and keeping them in good nick (almost a meditative thing), reading thrillers (and the occasional romance), and needlepoint. The last of these is a thing she aggressively keeps hidden from everyone but her boyfriend, because it doesn't at all fit with either her own self-image or the image she likes to project, but she can't help liking it. It's just a thing she picked up from her mum when she was a kid.

My street rat thief pretty much just spends his time thieving. It's technically his job in the loosest definition of the word, but he wouldn't do it if he didn't find it fun. Otherwise, he's homeless, so there's not much opportunity for him to have normal, everyday hobbies.

My con artist fortune teller is a fan of cooking, though she doesn't really have anyone to cook for, which saddens her. Just not enough to stop screwing people over, obviously. She dances, but that's less out of enjoyment and more because she perceives it as a useful skill. She keeps a diary. She also likes to draw, although she's terrible at it. Specifically, she likes to (very secretly) draw yaoi, which she then hides in a drawer and pretends doesn't exist. That might be more of a kink than a hobby, though.

I do have more characters, but I haven't considered hobbies for them quite yet. I should note that absolutely none of the above hobbies are my own. Except maybe drinking. I do that.

13. I guess that my characters currently have odd hobbies. One of them is an engineer for fun as well as by vocation. I haven't had her design anything for fun (or anything at all since she's been in jail up until last week in RP time.)

Another character of mine on a different site stabs people as a hobby. That's right, she's an assassin for entertainment.

14. Brittlez
    Barefooter

Brittlez Resident Game Owner

Angela is a Goddess but her hobbies include playing with her children, making wine, being an herbalist, and occasionally having to seduce men :P (She is Goddess of Earth and Fertility) She is around 200 years old. Note that Angela's wine can only be drunk safely by the gods as she takes berries from the fey forest and mixes it with nightshade and a mystery ingredient. A few mortals have tried to drink it but to stop the madness they ended up killing themselves.
    Her daughter Iva (5) likes to go adventuring in her mother's realm and play in the mud holes or go adventuring with her teddy bear Winston
    Crystaline is blind but she likes to be read to.

15. swaswj

swaswj Newcomer

It was probably a little self-insert, but I used to have a character whose hobby was writing. In part, it was an excuse to write short stories that weren't in-theme with the game world, but I always tied it in with certain dilemmas the character was pondering. So, related, but not really.

More recently, I created a character whose hobby revolves around a fictional sport in the world of the RP, and I'd like to bring it up more. Problem is, I'm not a sports-fan myself, so I'm struggling with how to make her excitement for the sport seem genuine. It was a lot easier writing a nerd like myself!

Elena likes this.
  16. Riding a thranta across the skies of Bespin

Iztak likes this.
  17. varos
    Balanced

varos Newcomer

My two favorite characters are Stilia and Cassidy.
    Stilia is a Gorgon who enjoys reading, drawing, and learning. Due to her curiosity and thirst to know, she goes on several quests, travels, and researches a large variety of things.

Cassidy is a human with a sassy attitude. She enjoys building, inventing, and flirting with the ladies and the men. Her favorite pass time is likely thinking up new and creative ways to curse.

Elena likes this.
  18. TheLadyLoki

TheLadyLoki Newcomer

Bathing in the blood of the innocent, kidnapping people, ruling a kingdom where she is loved and feared...

19. Iztak
    Sporty

Iztak Resident Game Owner

My witch Quill plays cards nights with her mother. My wizard Knox likes cooking and gardening - a synergistic set of skills, yes? I once had a witch who alphabetized her cats.

Elena likes this.
  20. SolarisGuru
    Balanced

SolarisGuru Newcomer Game Owner

My two main character's hobbies are exploring and tinkering with gadgets.