When you miss the good old days

Discussion in 'Chatterbox' started by midorialexandros, May 1, 2016.

1. Grimscythe
    Spaced

Grimscythe Newcomer Game Owner

Ahh, the good ol' days. Where Discord wasn't a thing, and the biggest way drama moved around was via AIM, MSN, and other messengers that are now (mostly) defunct.

Honestly, I miss the days when anyone would write with anyone. Now there's so much animosity and anxiety involved in the RP process (and perhaps this in part because we've switched to a largely ooc chat-room based discussion focus, and we simply know too much about each other) that sometimes I just back out after lurking because I simply don't feel comfortable.

I miss writing until six in the morning with my partners because I was so enraptured in a storyline that the high associated with it dictated my bad choices. I miss creating elaborate plots and writing them out, including unsuspected and delightful twists.

Archivist likes this.
  2. porkerberry

porkerberry Newcomer Game Owner

I do think people are less creative and put less effort into a role-play. It DOES give me "house" vibes

3. Ottoman
    Goofy

Ottoman Newcomer Game Owner

Original stuff is my bread and butter, I can't really hack writing for fandoms as I find it to be a sort of crutch for having things already in place - and I can never get into the right mindset for it, never completely immersed like with original work.

I really long for the old days of 2008-12, just for the kind of energy that permeated everything then. It was thrilling.

Star Army likes this.
  4. Louis

Louis Newcomer

Oh wow... reading this both encourages and discourages me. Nostalgic old crow here, missing the very basic IRC chat RP I happened to bump into back in 1999. A 18 + realistic medieval FFRP that featured elements that weren't necessarily my cup of tea, but everyone would contribute in their own way. I'm not saying there wasn't any drama, but the place was fun enough for the occasional drama not to shoot it down.

And house play... so it's a pandemic, isn't it? I wonder where that lack of creativity is coming from. Do people want to RP or not?

I too wish to bring back my intense character into some intelligent and compelling stuff that will keep me up late into the night.

Nice to meet you all.

Star Army likes this.