What Visual Elements Define the '70s or '80s?

Discussion in 'Creativity Station' started by Max Shields, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Shields

Max Shields Newcomer

We are in the process of making a game inspired by '70s and '80s science fiction. We have our ideas of what defines those times, but I would like to know what you believe are key aspects of the visual language that can be built to recreate the look and feel of the times.

2. VirusZero

VirusZero Resident Game Owner

When I think of visual elements from the 80's (like props or equipment), I get a very rough look to them. Some of them may be cobbled together from spare parts and have wires and tubs running all over. Others have exposed circuitry.
    Metallic elements will often be rusted, have visible weld sections or have a lot of sections where the paint has worn off them (especially on the edges). Typically will be painted black also. May also have lots of flashing lights.

Things are also likely to be bigger and blockier, with fewer rounded edges. So it won't look very sleek at all. (A good example of this is Robocop 1987's suit vs Robocop 2014's suit.)

I'm sure there's more than this, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the 70's though so I can't give much input on them.

3. Max Shields

Max Shields Newcomer

Good points. Grunge, exposed machinery, and blocky equipment, with hard angles do come to mind.

Thanks!

4. espatier

espatier Newcomer

70s = you have silver, reflective and alot of white color outfits, for tough guys it was "silver" mirror sunglasses, women were still sex object for prepubescent teens.

70s & 80s sci-fi movies

Mutants
    radioactive
    wasteland
    robots
    survival
    Nukes (mushroom Clouds)
    space travel
    Aliens
    Scientist
    Warlords
    Russian as the enemies

5. Nathan Hunter
    Badass

Nathan Hunter Resident Game Owner

Lots of little red blinky lights! KITT's dashboard from Knight Rider would be a good example I think