1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your favorite ways to coming up with character names?

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by Checkerdog, Mar 10, 2018.

1. I love making characters! But I always find myself struggling to find the perfect name. Does anyone else have this problem? And/or what are your favorite ways to come up with that perfect name?
  2. For me it's a combination of my own inspiration and the ethnicity/culture of the character. I play a lot of different settings from fantasy to sci-fi and most of these settings have alien/fantasy races. I like taking parts of names that exist and add something to them. My current characters last name is Brot, mainly because I saw that his species in star trek has the last name Brot'la in some canon and I thought it was a good way to slap my stamp on it while not straying to far away.

For human characters I mostly just google the most common names in countries with a major ethnic population or culture that corresponds with my character.
  3. I have this weird OCD like thing where I struggle with having characters who's name start with the same letter... like... I can't have an Alice and an Andrew... so I cross letters off my list as I make characters.

I mostly use baby name genie and behind the name for inspiration. Although the former can be a bit 'out there' with the suggestions. Anyone would think it wanted the whole world the be called Phoenix Destiny or something hahaha
  4. I take into account the character's ethnicity and time period, first of all, because there are names which in the 18-th century were for men (Ashley, Jocelyn, Vivian, Meredith, Aubrey, Leslie, Sidney etc) and now they are for women. Also there are names unheard of in certain periods. Sometimes I come right away with the name, sometimes I need a names' list. More often the surname is taken from a list than the given name.
  5. I use the random renamer on Behind the Name. LOL