Feedback Voting verification

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by The Mother, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just a query, but why now do registered members of Fix need to go through the catchpa verification when voting? If its to prevent cheating, as I assume it maybe, or to deter that, there are better ways. I honestly believe with the whole site voting mechanism, perhaps it should be restricted to those sites whereby members who own them are active here on Fix. Some of those sites that are being voted for are when looked at, have very small memberships and there are one or two that are barely even active, yet are still drawing huge vote numbers.

Mim likes this.
  2. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

It was enabled to prevent scripted voting. There is no better existing mechanism to prevent that.

Vote weights already are in place for people who are active on RPGfix. So if you are active here, your vote does count for more in the long run, and also gets counted if there is any tie-breaking to be done. This is why you'll see some smaller sites pull ahead if they have members who are also active on RPGfix.

The entire reason the voting math was written, with cooldowns, etc., was so that smaller sites do have a chance at winning GotM if they have a group of dedicated people. If we only catered to the games with the most active membership (and folks who reward their players for voting), The Omniverse would win 100% of the time... which would make for amusing, but not as fun GotM match ups.

Mim likes this.
  3. I understand that perfectly, although it is somewhat laborious when you find yourself spending minutes checking repeated images over and over until you can verify you're not a bot. Would not a simple question and answer catchpa work as well?

4. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

Unfortunately, no. A simple Q&A can easily be answered by bots. If you are continuously having to do the extended captchas, it's likely your IP range comes from one that known spammers also work from. The vast majority of people here should only have to do the one click "I'm not a robot," and away they go. I'm sorry your IP address seems to be in a blacklisted range, but it's exactly why we need to have the captcha as it is.

5. Sydney Australia to be precise. That is rather strange?