The worst thing you've ever done with your forum-site.

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by Mim, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Mim
    Joyful

Mim Resident Game Owner

I guess there are a lot of things you can do with your site that is effectively detrimental to game play or member attendance. I think for me, it has been creating a Discord channel and I so regret doing that. My members now spend more time there than on the forum and its been extremely hard at times to motivate them back, short of shutting down the Discord channel. What has been your worst move for your site/forum?

2. FerociousUniverse
    Adorable

FerociousUniverse Newcomer Game Owner

To Discord or not to Discord.... this is such a complicated subject. I think Discord can be very helpful, and effective, if used in support of the site. For example, we use our for reply tagging, and announcements. But you do need to be careful about RP daydreaming... I tackle this by being somewhat direct, when I see people plotting endlessly etc in Discord, I step in. So far it has worked. I have experimented with no Discord, and to be honest, that did not work out well in the end. So, I like Discord, but you need to manage it as an admin.

For me, not a horrible thing, but IC comms. People ended up 'texting' in game all the time and neglecting their stories. In my latest site, we do not have IC comms, if people want to write about texting etc, then they can incorporate it into their story posts.

Mim likes this.