Implemented Support HTTPS

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Star Army, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star Army
    Spaced

Star Army Resident Game Owner

Put simply: I think that RPGfix should, for the sake of user privacy and security, support HTTPS browsing.

I just implemented it on my site and XenForo, and I'd be happy to help however I can.

Shriker likes this.
  2. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

It's been on my to do list. :) Our current server configuration deviates from the norm quite a bit (a lot of sandboxing and chroot magic), which is the only reason why I haven't tossed it in there already. It's usually a simple process on other sites that I maintain, but RPGfix is a special case. It'll be added once I can guarantee that it won't throw up. We're likely going to go with Let's Encrypt, just need to add some additional automation there for our edge case.

Star Army likes this.
  3. Star Army
    Spaced

I went with Let's Encrypt too. The price was right! Also I'm on Dreamhost and Dreamhost basically made it practically a one-click deal to request an automatically renewing certificate from them, which was awesome. I hope that more hosts start offering it in the future...you know, make it easily accessible to Joe Webmaster. I think that HTTPS is (slowly) becoming the norm for any website that people can log in to. And RPG forums are falling behind on this trend. XenForo is great for HTTPS since it has built-in image caching and other SSL-friendly features. I had been wanting to got to HTTPS for years and I finally took the plunge last month and things seem to be working very well. So I'm really glad to hear it's in your plans too.

4. Shriker
    Magical

Oh, wow. That is awesome! It really should become the norm. It's a little amusing to me because I do server admin/DevOps as part of my day job, so it's my personal projects that end up falling behind a touch. Kind of like the shoemaker's kids going barefoot. :P

I enabled image proxy/caching back when it came out for XenForo, so at least when I do enable HTTPS, it won't be a complete headache from the board's point of view.

5. Shriker
    Magical

@Star Army Aaaaand implemented. Need to do a little bit more custom work to have it issue new certificates automatically once they expire, but smooth sailing so far. :)

Star Army and Death Kitten like this.
  6. Star Army
    Spaced

Very nice! I'm impressed and pleased by this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.