Feedback Some feedback and possibly a bug

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Shelter2015, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelter2015
    Energetic

Shelter2015 Newcomer Game Owner

So feedback first -

I get that you've probably mod-queued everyone who signs up incase of spambots... but to be honest for me and at least one other person I've spoken to its a massive turn off. People have relatively 'short' attention spans and to have to wait for posts to be approved isn't going to help.

Not sure if its possible but what about a way of 'rating' posts and maybe a post that gets a very low score/consistently downvoted the user ends up on the modqueue as well as encouraging member reporting of spam posts if its spam you're worried about.

And now a possible bug -
    Posts are showing at the bottom due to the goggle ad in the right of the post... I'm not sure if this is due to improper float or something else but... its kinda irritating and I'd (personally) rather have a banner ad taking up the full width of the post then 'wasted' real estate

2. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

Hey @Shelter2015, that is some totally valid and awesome constructive criticism, so I really appreciate that.

Unfortunately the moderation queue is not something that is going to be going away. It has been in place in some form or another since 2009-2010 and is incredibly effective. Not only does it stop spam bots, it also stops people who mistakenly "drive by advertise" their sites without reading the rules (this happens more often than you'd think). I do not want to penalize or embarrass people who mistakenly advertise their site without checking out our rules, so this also serves as an effective barrier for that. I would honestly hate for a newcomer to stop by, advertise their site in their first post, and end up getting dog piled and reported by members who are already intimate with our rules.

As it stands, RPGfix is largely already self-moderating. If you report dead/defunct sites and legitimate "bad" posts, then you build up trust with the moderation system. Eventually if your account has gained enough trust, it'll be flagged as reputable and then posts/sites that you report will automatically be sent into the moderation queue. So in a way, RPGfix has a lot of invisible moderators... people just don't realize that they're moderators. :) It's largely how I'm able to run this place with such a skeleton crew.

I'll check out the ad issue! It's likely a problem that occurred during a routine upgrade.

Edit: Fixed the ad problem. Apparently it was because some advertiser started messing with my wrapper and adding a "funbox" div that was messing things up. :|

Shelter2015 likes this.
  3. Shelter2015
    Energetic

Shelter2015 Newcomer Game Owner

Then I would - and no offence because this site does run great - suggest maybe getting a few more people dedicated to keeping the mod-queue cleared, especially if you're looking to grow. Just because having things you want to add to the discussion and then them suddenly appearing in place when the discussion might move on is particularly jarring.

Maybe see if there's a way to automate it - eg if a post includes a link and its a person with otherwise 0 posts it gets modqueued or else it doesn't get moderated (which should tackle spambots as well as inadvertant drive by advertisers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.