Recommendations - Forum sites to host RPG

Discussion in 'Management' started by SymonDrayson, Oct 26, 2016.

1. SymonDrayson
    Balanced

SymonDrayson Resident Game Owner

I am looking to start an RPG and possibly move another one to a Forum. I have been looking at sites but none of the ones I have seen have impressed me. Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. SithLordOfSnark

SithLordOfSnark Resident Game Owner

I personally stick to jcink for sites I consider joining and/or run myself, because of the fast customer service and other features that I've only found on jcink.

SymonDrayson likes this.
  3. VioletAmythest

VioletAmythest Newcomer Game Owner

I use jcink as well. mostly because my friend always uses them, and because my sister is agains proboards. And I usually end up helping them with whatever project they're working on atm.

4. Archaeon
    Bookworm

Archaeon Resident Game Owner

Personally, I've found that there's not really all that much between them. Little bits here and there. I've tried my hand at most of them over the years. I prefer JCINK, but whether that's because it's actually easier to use or simply because I'm more familiar with it these days I honestly couldn't say. I have found the JCINK support to be top notch, however, and would likely recommend it for that alone.

5. Zoltan
    Frustrated

Zoltan Newcomer

in the old days it used to be all about invision, maybe some smf, these days i'd have to say Jcink

6. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

SMF, if you can afford to pay for your server, its the best of them all.

7. Icewolf

Icewolf Newcomer Game Owner

I don't think any software/host is completely perfect. I've tried a number of them and I'm planning to go with icyboards/mybb. I did use proboards for a while, but I find their plugins to be a bit archaic and limited. SMF I tried recently, but didn't like it because many of the plugins had not been updated so took a lot of fiddling around but they still didn't work for me. Jcink I found awkward, though there were some features I liked about it. Proboards is probably about the simplest to use, (at least of the boards I've tired), but if you want a mature board, or something with better plugins, then icyboards is the one I recommend, but go with what you feel most comfortable using. It takes a lot of work to even get a board ready to open, so it's best to go with the one you find is best for you regarding your knowledge, the time you have to develop it and which meets your rp's needs.

Featherstone and Mim like this.
  8. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

I agree about SMF. But the reward is if you have a great coder as I do with me, its fantastic. I never got around to looking at icyboards until I joined another forum. It is good, I might have gone there had I known about it earlier

9. Sinsomnia

Sinsomnia Fresh Blood

Personally, I prefer JCINK. There are some things I wish were different, or things I wish I was able to do with my site but one of the best things about JCINK is the communication you have with John. I've had conversations with him multiple times about issues or ideas and I've always felt like he's actually listening and trying to make things better.

That being said, I might not be the best person to answer this considering I haven't been on an RP site that wasn't hosted by JCINK in years.