Preference for RP?

Discussion in 'Chatterbox' started by cyclops, Mar 12, 2016.

?

RP Medium

1. Forum

86.6%
  2. Email

3.4%
  3. Live Chat (IM or IRC)

5.0%
  4. Live Meat-Space (Tabletop)

5.0%
  1. Crystalfrost

Crystalfrost Newcomer Game Owner

I've always preferred forums even though I usually do one-on-one plots. I like the set up and the ease with which you can play a character with many other characters, and I also love the sense of community you get on a forum.

2. eleholly

eleholly Newcomer Game Owner

I've found a love for many mediums of RP. I tend to stick to forums because I love in-depth posts. I want to know about the characters, how they feel, etc. I'm not a big fan of chat based RP, but that has a place too. I also think a lot of it depends on the type of RP that you're participating in, whether you're part of a collaborative community or if it's a 1x1 type scenario. But long answer short, I prefer forums.

3. Zahhy

Zahhy Newcomer Game Owner

I absolutely prefer forums. They look nice and keep everything so organized!

4. Vermillion

Vermillion Fresh Blood

I started out on forums and have tried quite a few different methods, including live chat. While I admit to liking tabletop games such as D&D, I feel awkward when it comes to getting too in character. Overall, I will always prefer forums because I have the things I need stored for me and available when I need to find them.

5. Zapy97

Zapy97 Resident Game Owner

I use a steam group discussion forum. It isn't the best but it gets the job done. There are very few moderator tools and we are looking to either go to discord or something else after we expand our player base.

6. BobbyB
    Adorable

BobbyB Resident Game Owner

I started via IM and other such things, but found my anxiety levels got pretty high because people "demanded" quick answers. The kind of "You're online, why aren't you replying?"
    When I became a more literate writer, I found that on top of that anxiety and guilt issue, it's just easier to write on forums. Except for the forum I own myself, I also always hide my online status to avoid the "You're online but not replying" thing.

Zahhy likes this.
  7. I mostly use forums, but I enjoy messenger based formats to. I'm a lot more concerned with plot progression than I am getting length from my writing partners, and messenger based plays usually have a much swifter pacing where its not uncommon to spend six months trying to complete a forum thread. I've had forum threads that have taken over a year to "complete" and most of the time its not even really that the thread ever went anywhere or reached natural closure so much as after that long you're just sick of messing with it so it gets shoe horned to an end.

Fortunately most of the players on my current site are pretty swift with replies so its been a long time since I've had that problem.

8. AsylumJax

AsylumJax Newcomer

What if o told you you could do both :o

9. RP Collective
    Breezy

RP Collective Resident Game Owner

Lots of forum. Although, I use Google Docs a lot for collaborative posts and works.

10. JMT

JMT Newcomer

Personally I prefer forums, but if I'm feeling antisocial or strapped for time to devout to a larger plot, I enjoy just going through something like email. It's nice and intimate <3 I was shocked to learn how many use things like Tumblr, I haven't even been able to figure out how that works XD

11. JMT

JMT Newcomer

I didn't know .io was for anything other than gaming - interesting

12. SRWIgnition

SRWIgnition Newcomer Game Owner

Forums are certainly my preference - IRL meetups seem to get waylaid often, and a forum allows you to have players from all over the world. It's also better for those that are antisocial, I feel, because they can act from behind a keyboard, without anxiety getting in the way. Of course, there are always challenges to managing a group, but the same can be said for any social activity - regardless of the medium it takes place in.

13. The Rebel

The Rebel Newcomer Game Owner

Definitely forums. I find them pretty easy to navigate and I like that you can rp with a variety of people. I do a liiittle bit of discord rp chats just for fun/no actual effect on the game, but for the most part I like to be able to think about what I say and write it all out. The reading/writing aspect is very important to me.

14. Ahnkella
    Batty

Ahnkella Newcomer Game Owner

I have done both Forum and Live chat roleplaying, but overall I prefer forums as you can got into far more detail and have a structure. As well as be able to easily customised and go back and see everything, rather than it being lost in a flod of messages.

15. Forum RPs all the way. Much easier to handle.

16. While I did play journal and tabletop RPs sometimes, I mostly go with forums due to how I am pushing my skills as a writer while role-playing as a character on a journey or a mission of sorts. Plus, I can sometimes integrate the system from the forums to create some interesting characters along with some flaws and quirks both in personality and battling skills.

17. hatchaplan

hatchaplan Newcomer

I've got a forum preference myself! I've never tried Discord or email roleplaying. The only other thing I've done is sending a Word document back and forth with friends.

18. Honestly if a platform is useable I'll typically be game to roleplay on it but as of late I heavily, heavily prefer forum roleplaying(proboards and jcink) and Discord. Anything else I'm very 'eh' about.

19. Seraphina

Seraphina Newcomer Game Owner

I like forums. I like having a place to store my work, and if someone leaves there are people there to pick up where they left off so you don't have to end a character idea altogether.

20. theeflamehead

theeflamehead Newcomer Game Owner

For sci-fi, I actually prefer a format known as Nova. It's email....ish? Discord is great for communication, but it's tough for RP. My favorite, though, is actually in-person, when I can swing it.