Open thread ideas?

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by RaeBae, Nov 28, 2021.

1. RaeBae
    Badass

RaeBae Newcomer Game Owner

So we've seen name generators, description generators, and even prompt generators, but sometimes what I'm really looking for is ideas for open threads.

I want to push some characters out of the box and to do things they typically wouldn't do.

Also as an admin something that has always been very important to be is to always have open threads in most areas of the board. I've been that newbie that was too shy to ask before so now I make sure I have characters in every part that are easy to help people get started or get muse jogging. I've seen truly incredible things happen from threads like this!

What are some of your favorite open thread prompts that can lead to unexpected results?

2. DFedora
    Bookworm

DFedora Newcomer Game Owner

I often find it very difficult to make open threads, exactly because often I can't see my characters doing something that'll bait someone else into an interaction. As a way around this, I try to set up some sort of fumble or accident, a completely by-chance thing that my character didn't do so much as trigger by not seeing where they're going/reaching without looking/tripping on a rock, etc. It gets people talking, and if I angle it as a bit of a spectacle, like someone cussing at dropping something heavy on their foot to pick a very boring opinion, you can get people laughing and talking. Or arguing, if the other character decides it is my character's fault that something went wrong!

One that I haven't used myself but made me hop into the open, was someone taking the wrong drink. This was a werewolf and a werebear, so it led to an interesting interactions even with a very "mundane" hook.

3. Aphachea
    Cowabunga

Aphachea Newcomer Game Owner

I think most of my open thread ideas have revolved around stores selling things and or something eye-catching. Something characters can hop in for a quick chat or something and hop out just as easily. It at least sets up some small interaction even if it's fast and let's others join in some amount of RP. Like DFedora, I'd say accidents like bumping into someone or your character already coming up to the other and asking for something is an easy way in too. Or set up an interactions between NPCs that can be viewed/interacted with by whoever wants to join the open. Say, two NPCs fighting over something (or heck your own character) and spilling a drink on someone else, etc etc.

To be fair, I'm not super fond of open threads cuz they tend to drag on without coming to a conclusion. But I do like them to include new members and get them revved up for RPing C:

4. storynsong

storynsong Newcomer

My favourite way to start an open thread is to come up with a memory for my character, and then have the thing they're doing relate to that memory. Memories are so clutch for this (and posts in general) because they super help inform the present character and how they turned out the way they did, especially if it's a new character and you're still trying to get a feel for their hidden facets.

5. I've done open threads around my characters trying to complete a specific task, often one that other people's characters might also wish to complete. That way there's a clear goal to the thread and it sparks interest in others to join.

6. attatar

attatar Newcomer

Sometimes I enjoy the unorganized chaos of something happening in a bar or tavern, where everyone just happens to be at the same place at the same time. Unless something specific is happening though, that premise can make it hard for people to join and find a direction to move the thread in, so I also like starting them with my characters trying to complete a specific goal, whether that's some sort of task or something even more vague like dealing with a common challenge

Blackbird likes this.
  7. knifeskunk

knifeskunk Newcomer

I like to roll on Marvel boards, and so one of my go-tos is a minor supervillain doing a thing; robbing a bank, taking hostages, mugging, w/e - something that lets a new player flex all sides of their character, personality, tone, powers, whatever's fun.

8. One of my favorite open threads I've ever started was a battle of the Bands that took place at an interstellar rave. It was a blast. A bunch of the player characters joined the battle of the bands and a bunch were in the audience and then one of the bands played a Rate Against the Machine song and the evil empire sent enforcers in to shut it down and a giant battle ensued. Was a lot of fun.