New Star Trek Roleplay

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by oldrepublic001, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Hey. I'm working on starting up a new Star Trek roleplay. I've done lots of Star Trek rpgs in the past, so I'd like to start one. I need help. I base knowledge of Star Trek, but not everything. I need someone who knows more about Star Trek more than I do and is willing to help me get started. My rpg started, but its stalled in development. I'd like to start it up again.

Its Star Trek New Horizons. Its after DS9 in the year 2393. This is my brief summary of it.

The USS Nexus is a prototype Star fleet vessel and the first to be created to contain an AI system. She was a Sovereign Class MK – III type with the capability to split into three smaller ships with different capabilities. When she was approved and passed, they placed Captain Malcolm Thomas in command of this ship with Commander Camryn Sheppard. Soon, the ship was crewed with over a thousand people and christened to start her maiden voyage across the galaxy. Her first mission was to go to Bajor and transport the new CO for Deep Space Nine.

During their voyage, the captain discovered an anomaly that only appears once in a lifetime. So they make a detour to investigate it. However, this anomaly turned out to be a rogue wormhole and opened very close to the USS Nexus. They did not have a chance to react and was pulled through the turbulent hole in space. In several hours, they ended up in the Gamma Quadrant. Alone. With almost a third of the crew and most of the senior officers dead. Captain Malcolm Thomas and Commander Camryn Sheppard are, at the moment, the only highest ranked senior officers still standing. They are in charge of the entire survival of the USS Nexus and their journey in the Gamma Quadrant begins here as they must figure out their next step in order to survive in a potentially hostile, unknown region of space so far from home.

If you might be interested, please let me know or if you have any questions about it. This site is linked to Lost Worlds Sci Fi Fantasy forum. I do have a link, so if you want, I can link you to that site. I also have a lot of ideas about this roleplay. I just need the help. I have a lot of vacant positions including a first officer.

There is potential in this story. Pulled away from the Alpha quadrant and into the furthest reaches of the Gamma quadrant where the crew needs to find their way back home somehow. They have a base of operations in that quadrant, but I haven't gotten there. Yet.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can join it! :)
    ~Ben

2. Morrigan
    Cloud_9

Morrigan Resident Game Owner

I'm a bit of a Star Trek person, so is @Death Kitten so I'll just give you a few pokes.
    I'm assuming Commander Camryn Sheppard is your XO which is the second in command you may want to clarify that. Also since your ship has three "parts" you may want a more unconventional thing here and either have 3 captains, one for each part or at least two XOs. It's out of the ordinary but I think since the ship is unconventional you'll likely be able to pull it off.

"Her first mission was to go to Bajor and transport the new CO for Deep Space Nine." this would be unnecessary. DS9 could send a transport ship themselves. Give them something bigger! Something like a Space station on the other side of the wormhole or something. For such a precious ship it would be pointless to be sent on a very short mission. Unless you are talking about transporting them from somewhere that isn't Bajor TO DS9. Then the verbiage is unclear. Bajor and DS9 are right next to each other, technically Bajor owns DS9.

"Captain Malcolm Thomas and Commander Camryn Sheppard are, at the moment, the only highest ranked senior officers still standing." Again confused. You said that the senior, ranking, officers were the Captain and Commander, are you talking about other senior officers? Like the chief engineer and things like that? If that's the case that ship is in trouble but continuing to read.

I like the overall premise. Very Voyager in essence. I think primarily it's just needed to clean up some of your plot points and make it more clear for readers to identify what you are looking for.

If I still played Trek I'd join. I'd love some more Dax in my life.

oldrepublic001 likes this.
  3. Now you see why I need help :facepalm:

I have more than that. I mean, I have ideas, but I just need to refine them. And Im sure Dax will be onboard too ;) I love a Dax.

So....what am I looking for? Malcolm Thomas is an NPC CO for now. Camryn is my main character. And there is a space station on the other side of the wormhole. That was the whole point of the third CO. Right now, I am looking for an XO. He'd be a Lieutenant Commander. I need someone who knows enough Star Trek to steer me in the right direction because I already have a plan. I didnt send the USS Nexus on the other side of the galaxy for nothing. They did find a space station, a Nor class one similar to DS9, but maybe a bit bigger in specs and its a derelict. Underpowered. Still havent found a name for it yet, but it does have a name. Right now, im just calling it a Nor class.

Thanks for the quick response! :)

4. Morrigan
    Cloud_9

Lets clarify CO versus XO versus command.

There is always a top decision maker which is often the CO/Captain of the ship then there is the XO which is the Number 1 and in charge in case the Captain can't handle it. There is a second and third as well but in most situations they were not utilized but were primarily department heads (Worf for example is Commander of Security).

In your particular circumstance I think that it could be changed up to have two First officers because you always need the actual commanding officer, so the lead of the triple threat fleet that makes the on the fly decisions when they are apart that the other two listen to OR have 3 XOs and one CO that still controls that but the three XOs are specifically trained for the command/function of their separate parts but still answer to said CO.

I warn to be careful. Super nerds like me know that there is only one sister station to DS9 and it's called Empok Nor. The two stations are identical except Empok Nor is no longer in use/derelict but also floating in the Alpha quadrant (save for possible random wormhole).

My recommendation for the station is that you don't use Cardassian technology since they aren't in the Gamma quadrant. Go with a new race/different type of station or something to do with the Changelings and whatnot

This gives you plenty of plot potential, new race stuff etc.

5. I will keep that in mind. Thanks much! ^_^

6. Morrigan
    Cloud_9

Not a problem. Best of luck to you in that. Now you make me want to go play Dax. :P BLAH!

7. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

This had the potential to be a great game, it still does. We just need dedicated good writers to get into it.

8. Captain Riagain
    Dr Pepper Addict

Captain Riagain Newcomer Game Owner

If you'll take some feedback from an experienced Trek RPG guy here, the problem your going to have is a lot of trekkies don't prefer an RPG set up in this style. Many of them prefer while staying in the Canon universe to an extent to be aboard their own vessel, with every character being unique. I'd suggest maybe looking at some of the most established fleet's (sim/RPG groups) around and see how their ships succeed with their play by post (forum) or (nova software) to get a feel for this method.

Not I'm not saying you can't do what your proposing, it has some good plots to it, but I also think you'd benefit from some small tweaks you'd see evident from these Star Trek sims.

9. I dont understand what you're saying here...or what method you're talking about.

It's going to be both a ship and a station, but mostly a ship. It will be canon, but since not a lot of things are familiar about the Gamma quadrant, we'll add to it while staying within canon and Star Trek lore. All I need is someone familiar with the Star Trek universe to help me out a bit. Just to give me a push or a start.

Mim likes this.
  10. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

The last thing we need to be looking at is those based on Nova platforms. They are as confusing as hell and rarely have I seen one that is anywhere near the format suitable for post based story writing. There is no plot generally involved with each player expected to come up with their own stories. All we need is someone who is a/ a great writer b/ dedicated and won't drop out after a week and c/ who has a strong knowledge base of ST and is committed from the outset.

oldrepublic001 likes this.
  11. Captain Riagain
    Dr Pepper Addict

Captain Riagain Newcomer Game Owner

I'd disagree with you there. It truly depends on the GM and their skills setting a plot/story for missions and continuous world building. I am involved in one than has been running for five plus years and is amazing and I'm starting one up that can do just fine.

I'm not suggesting you have to use Nova though. What I was suggesting is that he may benefit from a Fleet who can provide a huge variety of resources he's looking for. Groups like Pegasus Fleet, Obsidian Fleet, and Bravo Fleet all excel at that.

Morrigan and Mim like this.
  12. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

The game is on my forum, so its basically already set up. I don't think Ben clarified that. We're not looking to go or start anywhere else, merely to try and get someone in there who can give us a boot along to get it going.

Captain Riagain likes this.
  13. Mim and Captain Riagain like this.