New GotM Cool Down

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Shriker, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

Over the past year, our Game of the Month feature has been seeing more and more use. Game owners have been rewarding players who vote for their games, and who also register accounts on RPGfix. This is amazing, and as a result we have seen a gradual uptick in activity. (Shout out to The Omniverse! :heart-s:)

As a result of this activity, I've implemented a cool down on monthly GotM winners. If your site wins GotM, it will fall into a three month cool down period before your site is eligible to win again. This is so that we can get a healthy rotation of games, and that RPGfix continues to be able to showcase a multitude of sites.

Additionally, RPGfix will now count how many times your site has won GotM:medal-g-r-p:. I'd like to think of some neat new rewards for people who have high won counts, so let me know if you have any suggestions! :gift: :rainbow: :gift:

lyrebird likes this.
  2. Helixagon

Helixagon Resident Game Owner

Sounds good to me :D

3. VirusZero

VirusZero Resident Game Owner

This is very welcome and necessary change.

Previously one site easily dominated simply due to size and number of people voting for it. (I mean this site had like a 9 or 10 month win streak.) Which, sure, is fair given that they worked to get large and whatnot. But at the same time it was a bit discouraging to other sites simply because they weren't that large and couldn't compete. So it almost wasn't even worth the effort to try. Hopefully this will give everyone a much fairer shot now.

The Mother likes this.
  4. Shriker
    Magical

@VirusZero Oh, I can totally see how it was discouraging to the newer lil' guys. Hopefully this makes things more feasible. The winning streak was actually a pretty good thing though, as it allowed me to capture a whole bunch of data that I would not be able to get otherwise. I was able to strengthen the voting system as a whole, and accurately determine a fair cool down period. :) Now if more sites get bursts of activity, we'll be able to slide easier to adjust in the future.

5. Wyman

Wyman Newcomer Game Owner

Definitely a fair move that can only help the community at large.

The Mother likes this.
  6. Helixagon

Helixagon Resident Game Owner

I guess this is no longer in effect?

7. Shriker
    Magical

It still is, but there was some sort of hiccup. Think it was related to a server upgrade that may have scheduled itself at the same time that conflicted with the cron. Though why it didn't queue itself back up properly afterwards, I still do not know. Either way, I've thrown on debug mode for this month in order to monitor anything odd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.