NaNoWriMo: Are you participating?

Discussion in 'Chatterbox' started by Shriker, Oct 21, 2013.

?

Are you gearing up for NaNoWriMo 2013?

1. Yes!

40.0%
  2. No

26.7%
  3. Maybe

26.7%
  4. Never heard of it

6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

Every November marks the beginning of National Novel Writing Month. It's an annual challenge to see if you can reach the goal of 50,000 words!

This year I'm going to be writing several short world building stories instead of a (semi-)cohesive novel (so it already feels like I'm cheating). What are your plans? Have you ever participated before? Have you ever won?

2. Ive never participated before, but it could be fun. Might just do.

Shriker likes this.
  3. Always. This will be my 11th year NaNoing.

I'm stuck between rewriting two stories, one of which I've already attempted to write twice for NaNo (2010, 2012), and the other of which was my first NaNo win (2006). I kind of wanted to wing it this year and do something new, but I'm really pretty bad at winging things, so probably not.

Shriker likes this.
  4. Kitsufox
    Caffeine Fix

Kitsufox Resident Game Owner

I've always meant to participate... Maybe this will be the year?

5. Shriker
    Magical

I highly recommend it. :) If you can set aside approximately an hour or so a day just in order to write, you're golden (unless you're bad like me and tend to just have long writing spurts on the weekends... haha).

This year I'm also having a Glim payout at Shadowlack. So people who participate in NaNoWriMo get to cash in on the OOC forum currency based on what they got for word count. So that's pretty exciting.

6. Valium

Valium Newcomer Game Owner

Yeah it could be fun. I'd have to check into it!

Shriker likes this.
  7. Zozma
    Unlucky

Zozma Spider Demon Game Owner

I was planning to but I don't think I'm going to be able to do it with any confidence this year. Somebody passed away and the whole first week of the month will be her viewing, service, family staying with us in our house because they're from out of town... Honestly, it's just way too stressful to think about squeezing Nano in there. And then I'll be going out of town a couple days for Thanksgiving later that same month.

So no... Maybe some other month, though.

8. Iztak
    Sporty

Iztak Resident Game Owner

I've participated in the past in that I didn't really care about hitting the word count, just dedicating some time to write out of the rpg context. A couple years ago, my husband and I were both unemployed so we wrote a bit and shared it with each other.

Zozma likes this.
  9. Shriker
    Magical

@Zozma That's pretty awful. NaNoWriMo can certainly be stressful though. I hope the rest of your family is alright, and you're looking forward to Thanksgiving. Try to take it easy and rest up for the holidays to come!

@Madmabley Personally I just like the atmosphere NaNoWriMo generates every November. I don't care much about the word count either, but it can be very encouraging to participate in timed word sprints, and other exercises to force yourself to write. :)

Iztak and Zozma like this.
  10. Zozma
    Unlucky

Thank you, Iversia. I appreciate it. I'm actually looking forward to the Thanksgiving part (not so much the rest) and I'll be doing camp Nano instead next year (summer Nano, basically). I have to admit, like you guys, I do love the atmosphere around this time of year and I've still been hanging out on the Nano forums. I'm still participating in the Nano CD exchange, too (since I don't want to be blacklisted and already signed up.)

11. no. I dont think setting aside one month for novel writing yields good work. I would rather write consistently for our site, than burn it all during one month. But good fun to all of those participating!

12. Shriker
    Magical

Well, it's all starting tomorrow! I'm going to be trying my best to add 50,000 words to Shadowlack's wiki. :)

13. Rune
    Busy

Rune Newcomer Game Owner

I intended to but eight days in and a social schedule that is suddenly booming I haven't had time to get anything written.

14. Spiffy

Spiffy Newcomer

I've always meant to participate in NaNoWriMo but I always either forget about it or just get too busy to have the time.

Danjeresque likes this.
  15. Danjeresque

Danjeresque Newcomer

I was so ready for NaNo, but then... I lost steam halfway through. Very ashamed of it. But ah well.

16. Zozma
    Unlucky

Haha! I ended up doing it after all--but only counting my RP posts.

17. camilli

camilli Newcomer

I've ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wanted to do it! I've finally got an idea so I think I'm going to run with it! Wish me luck, guyses!

18. HowlingInSync

HowlingInSync Newcomer

I dont think I am creative enough to do that, haha

19. Dawnmist

Dawnmist Newcomer

I always try and give up :(

20. Eclipse

Eclipse Newcomer

Yes, I did, and am going to try again this time around. ^^