MUDs

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by Witcher, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Witcher

Witcher Newcomer

Anyone play them still? I tried one many years ago but couldn't get into it, preferred the play-by-post games instead.

2. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

I used to be pretty big into them, but not nearly as much anymore. I found that differing time zones played too much of a factor, and I wasn't always able to dedicate 1-3 hour chunks of time consistently.

That said, I absolutely love some of the mechanics that allow you to build your own places and interactive objects.

3. Witcher

Witcher Newcomer

The timezone issue is a good point, a friend of mine who still plays pointed out that this is a bigger problem now as the communities tend to be smaller so if you're not on at peak times, it gets a bit lonely...

4. Kohana

Kohana Newcomer

I'm sorry for being the nub to drop in o nthe conversation, but what exactly is a MUD?

5. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

@Kohana All good! <3 A MUD (and variants of) is a Multi-User Dungeon. Essentially they're a mix of interactive fiction, online chatting, virtual worlds, and dungeon crawling/monster killing (sometimes). Players can move around in the text-based world, view objects (eg read their descriptions), and interact with them. So think of them as massive chat rooms that have a lot of player commands (and often even player statistics and the ability to die if you attack the wrong thing).

They're essentially what existed before MMORPGs. I suppose in layman's terms, imagine if World of Warcraft (or any other MMO) had no graphics, and it was played entirely through a chat interface.

6. Kohana

Kohana Newcomer

Oooh. Okay. That seems kinda cool, actually. I used to play the single player versions, but I never imagined that could be done in a multiplayer setting. Than you for explaining it to me!

Shriker likes this.
  7. Never did them at all, though they sound interesting and fun to explore! ;)

8. espatier

espatier Newcomer

it's something that alot people should revisit.

Tradewars, BBS, Doors and dial up!... Oh and waiting three hours on tech support in america!

9. I tried to get into some way back in the day but I could never figure out how they worked :'(

10. I played Achaea for a long time, and I loved it. If I could every adopt the patience, I'd love to turn my own site into a MUD. The whole mechanism of being text based and having to 'imagine' everything that's happening from the story dialog.. kicks the pants off WoW anyday. XD

11. Lolotte
    Arsey

Lolotte Newcomer Game Owner

I never really got into MUDs, but my wife admins one and loves them.