Message Board Hosting Suggestions

Discussion in 'Management' started by Catskillz, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Catskillz

Catskillz Newcomer

Anyone want to lend a hand to an Admin who's still painting stick figures on cave walls?

I'm still hosting on Y!Groups...and I know its time that I go elsewhere and join the current times. I use PBWorks for all my game's information, so all I really need is a site for hosting the gameplay/writing itself.

Help a cavegirl out? XD What is simple, easy to manage, if not comparable to yahoo groups style?

Thank you for not judging!

-Cat

2. Star Army
    Spaced

Star Army Resident Game Owner

Are you interested in setting up a forum or more of a group/email service?

Do you plan on self-hosting (e.g. getting a host and then installing a forum software on it) or using a provider e.g. jcink, etc?

What is your budget?

3. Catskillz

Catskillz Newcomer

1. I'd like to have a forum, my usual players are a mix between users that use their email only and those who like to post from a site.

2. Given that I have no experience with any of these things, I can't answer this question. Hence why I'm asking for information.

3. No budget really, we're all lax players so paying for a service wouldn't be ideal.

4. Elena
    Arthritic

Elena Resident Game Owner

Jcink then, it is a good host and you don't need money at all if you keep it PG-13.

Catskillz likes this.
  5. Catskillz

Catskillz Newcomer

Thank you, I will look into this!

Elena likes this.
  6. Bees

Bees Newcomer Game Owner

My preference, in my experience as both an admin and a user, is ProBoards. That said, ProBoards does have some disadvantages.

I've RP'd on Jcink but never used it as an admin. It also seems perfectly good and there are a few things I think it might do better than ProBoards (that said, it's hard to be sure because without being able to see backstage, I can't say how many of the features I like about the jcink forum I've used are actually part of jcink and how many are plugins or even custom-made by the admins).

I would *not* recommend forumotion. I used it for a now-defunct forum a while ago, and compared to ProBoards, it was a massive hassle and quite unpleasant to both admin and use.