Ideas for awards?

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by Squishy24601, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Squishy24601

Squishy24601 Resident Game Owner

I'm looking for ideas for character awards! On my site there is going to be a monthly award ceremony, with awards that have been voted for by members. However, there will also be awards that are given by staff as well that can be earned through things like posting, encouraging new members to come to the site etc to make sure that anyone can win an award.

I mostly need ideas for awards that members will vote on. I want them to be character/plot based awards and have interesting names. So far we have...

The 'oof' award -- award for the awkwardest moment
    For the love of the aether, just kiss already!: Award for a non-canon couple that everyone wants to see together

Then there's stuff like most devous character, romance of the month, handsomest character, but they don't have very interesting names. If anyone can think of any different names for those awards, let me know! :D

2. Pigboy
    Batty

Pigboy Newcomer

I enjoy medals and achievements myself for surpassing milestones in the roleplay. Yearly awards, such as 'Best Player of this or that Species" or 'Best New Player' while they can be very nice for those who participate and win, and it's rare that anyone will take exception or get competitive when it comes to it, can have an effect of leaving players out in the cold when they don't end up winning an award.

Not to mention that when it comes to voting, you may get accusations of popularity contests or even favoritism.

But for my own preference, I like that there are milestones that any character can achieve, and earn in the roleplay.

3. Lani
    Asleep

Lani Newcomer

I love the oof award idea. I reckon that sounds fun!

We have things like 'moment' of the month, which can be funny, sad, shocking, etc. We also have dynamic of the month, which is any type of relationship/vibe between characters except romantic (as that is its own category).

4. Peaky-Blinder
    Badass

Peaky-Blinder Newcomer Game Owner

I love awards too. And I think the ideas you have so far a great. You could add in funny ones like "person most likely to.." whatever it is you wish to put. And of course milestone ones to encourage posting. As someone previously said though, you do not wish it to turn into a popularity contest, as people will end up feeling left out.

5. Kiwi

Kiwi Newcomer

I'm quite keen on an idea I recently came up with, where members can award other members with something specific! It's a purchasable item, and the member gets a few points (it's 100 to purchase and the member awarded gets 25, so just a small amount) and the person buying it can choose the title of the award (with approval ofc). That way you don't have to come up with your own. Obviously you want to balance that with other awards so it doesn't just turn into a popularity contest, but it's a small fun way to give something nice to your friend.

6. Cootie
    Batty

Cootie Newcomer Game Owner

I love IC awards! I’m also trying to come up with a nice list of them. It’s tricky to keep it from becoming a popularity contest, but at least with monthly ones I’ve seen success in only allowing a player/character to win those types of awards once every number of months or whatnot.

As for some more ideas, let’s see... You could have themed ones that change depending on the month for your members to vote on, it could be based on whatever IC holidays your site has or even IRL ones like Halloween (“Wear The Scariest Costume”, “Drink All The Punch”, “Bite Somebody”, etc) or just a theme chosen at random. Because I know at least in my RP groups it’s fun to imagine ridiculous scenarios that might not have IC plausibility haha.