How much time do you spend on your characters per week?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Shriker, Oct 7, 2013.

?

How much time do you spend on your characters per week?

1. Less than an hour a week

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. 2-5 hours a week

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. 6-11 hours a week

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. 12-20 hours a week

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. 21+ hours a week

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. cookiecutter

cookiecutter Newcomer

Too much time I basically live on my site so I spend hours on my character's

2. CarpeCorde

CarpeCorde Newcomer

6-11 hours a week is fairly accurate for me. I love finding a celebrity of some sort to use as a playby, and collect cute but fitting gifs of them to toss through our plotting PM's or even sometimes through the role play. I do spend quite a lot of time musing over what I will have my characters do for the next post too.

I just love getting my creative on and collaborating with a great partner. Especially when the input is on equal terms. Love, love, love it! But of course, the actual writing of the character is best. And throwing in small twists and surprises for your partner. I love it!

3. russianspy24
    Boxed In

russianspy24 Newcomer Game Owner

I can't make a half-assed character, so I work on each new one until he or she is complete in my mind. I love to reuse characters I'm very fond of.

4. Icarus243
    Balanced

Icarus243 Newcomer

Usually 6-11 hours a week. Pretty unremarkable for a roleplayer really imo.

5. PKMNostalgia

PKMNostalgia Newcomer Game Owner

Less than I would like due to adminy things, but whenever it gets quiet and I don't have anything to do in real life I am working on something or another related to my personal oc's.

6. SithLordOfSnark

SithLordOfSnark Resident Game Owner

Far longer then I should, probably. LOL

7. eleholly

eleholly Newcomer Game Owner

Oh god, I spend way too much time on my characters. Generally speaking, it does take months to years to get a handle on them. My strongest characters I've been writing since I started on forums. But I would say I dedicate at least an hour of my time daily to my characters, whether it's adding to their personalized Spotify playlists or figuring out their complete histories. I've been known to stop writing replies to posts to finish off one shots that help me get a better grasp on a character.

8. Orion
    Cowabunga

Orion Newcomer Game Owner

Gotta say too much time, ahaha.

9. Zahhy

Zahhy Newcomer Game Owner

I usually start with the bones of a character. Very rarely do I have their whole life mapped out when I start playing them. As I play them and think of more things I add to them and they become a fully-fleshed out thing. I try not to take too long to make a character - it's more fun to play them!

10. Zapy97

Zapy97 Resident Game Owner

I mean it depends on what you call spending time on your characters. I try to add character development in as many posts as I can. Especially when there is a lull in the action or just an opportunity for a character look back for just a second and be reminded of something that happened in the past that wasn't mentioned in a previous post. I occasionally make it conflict with the previous posts to show the character's flawed or disillusioned view of the past.

Zahhy likes this.
  11. BobbyB
    Adorable

BobbyB Resident Game Owner

Time per character? Or total?
    Cause I spend a lot of time on my characters collectively, but only a few minutes per character per week. I mean, I have various RP's, as well as solo writing, making that I have like 30 characters at any given time. :')
    If I spend more than an hour on each every week... That'd be a full time job by itself...

Elena and Zahhy like this.
  12. Camael

Camael Fresh Blood

I spend a lot of time on my characters... mostly I because I love to detail their background even before posting the first submission. I would say that over 20 hours a week is pretty accurate, even tho I sometimes could spend more than that!

13. Valentyne

Valentyne Fresh Blood

I've randomly tossed out an idea to my friends and then we figure out where to go from there, so surprisingly it's never really long. XD

14. SRWIgnition

SRWIgnition Newcomer Game Owner

Is there a "too much" option?

15. The Rebel

The Rebel Newcomer Game Owner

I don't know the exact amount of time, but I have pretty good work hours. I'm on the site constantly so 20+ for sure.

16. Lilythe

Lilythe Newcomer Game Owner

That really depends on how much admin work I have and how quick my roleplay partners respond. When they are super busy and can't respond, then I don't have a lot of time. When my admin duties are a long list, I also don't get to respond. But generally I get a good 14+ hours in (about 2 hours a day).

17. Paulpatine

Paulpatine Newcomer Game Owner

Between 2-5 hours a week, but closer to 2 than 5. Mostly just spitballing and brainstorming plots and threads, some for fun, some for serious site plots, some just for the sheer hilarity of it all.

18. Gota

Gota Newcomer Game Owner

Probably less than an hour but that's because we don't really have members yet and there isn't much to do, so I hope to increase that number soon.

19. kismetdivided

kismetdivided Newcomer Game Owner

Hour-wise, I have no idea. My minimum/average post count for 6 months was 3-4 posts a day, but I can sometimes spam-post more than that. IlikepostingwhatcanIsay?

20. Moejy

Moejy Newcomer

I usually take a solid few hours to a couple days depending on the type of roleplay they are for.