Hey There!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Eve, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eve

Eve Resident

Hey everyone, my name is Eve, but I also go by Nyx. I am twenty-five years old and have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminal Justice with a minor in Psychology. I work full time as a Forensic Investigator for the Medical Examiner's Office - better known as the morgue - and am working on getting a career in either federal law enforcement or as an Air Force officer.

My main loves in life are music, drawing, reading, writing, videogames, and roleplaying, which I have been doing upwards of twelve years now. In that time I have created a bunch of original roleplay forums in varying genres - wolves, dragons, medieval fantasy, sci-fi future, post-apocalyptic, and supernatural - all of which are gone now primarily because they were created in the most turbulent times of my life. Now that things are stable I am just about to open a new forum, so here's hoping it does well!

Lady B likes this.
  2. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

Hey Eve! Goodness, that sounds like a degree that you can really do a lot with.

What kind of videogames have struck your fancy over this past year? I kind of got re-addicted to Saints Row: The Third. I kind of have too many games and not enough time to play them.

3. Invisie

Invisie internet forever Curator

That's a really cool job. I imagine it's not CSI, but still very cool. Welcome!

Seconding not enough time for games... I played a lot of Don't Starve earlier this year (like a month straight of it, aha). Good Steam game.

4. Eve

Eve Resident

Hey Iversia, I actually wanted to do something with computers, graphic design, or videogames but after taking a few intro classes I fell in love with criminal justice and psychology. I almost made it a double major but when I started an internship with the medical examiner's office they wanted to keep me full time, so I had to make it my minor to graduate early and start working. Having this degree has opened up a lot of doors but right now I just want to get out of the morgue and do something else. On a side note, I know you from Neopets, or rather know of you I suppose. I was a member of Seize the Night a lifetime ago and am still a member of Carpe Noctem, although I don't really visit the site or the guild that much anymore. I'm sure I'm not the first person to make that connection but I just thought it was neat, I hardly ever see people from those days anymore.

Oh man, the last year or so brought with it a great deluge of games, and like you both I haven't had enough time to keep up with them all, but I have played the big blockbuster titles like Assassin's Creed 3, Dead Space 3, Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Halo 4, and so on (Gamefly ♥). A lot of great games in there and some disappointing titles as well. Being a big fan of Dead Space I felt rather let down by the third installment, which focused a lot on loot gathering and weapon building and not enough on delivering the desperation and scares that made it popular in the first place. Halo 4 was just another Halo title, there wasn't anything new or innovative about it. The same can be said for Assassin's Creed 3. New age and new characters, but still the same old game. I haven't played any of the Saints Row games, are they good? The new one they're advertising right now looks interesting. As far as games I really like are concerned, Bioshock Infinite was amazing, the entire Mass Effect trilogy is pretty much my favorite RPG, and having never played an Elder Scrolls title before, Skyrim absolutely blew my mind with how massive that game was. Right now I'm looking forward to the Fable anniversary re-release, Beyond: Two Souls, Pokemon X/Y (hey, they've always been good little RPGs), Rayman Legends, and the next Ratchet & Clank. I love silly platformers like those as much as I love RPGs, TPS, and FPS games.

Hey Invisie, nice to meet you. It is pretty cool at times, but mostly just gross. Without going into the gory details I'll just say that a lot of the death scenes I go to aren't as picturesque as the CSI producers would lead people to believe. They also left out the part where most of the time we're just sitting behind a desk working on reports, but it's definitely an interesting experience and I've learned a lot so far. Ah, Don't Starve, that was a good little game, I enjoyed it and its Tim Burton-esque art style. Good stuff.

5. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

Seize the Night really was a lifetime ago... I don't think I'm ever going to outrun that place. XD Good times though. I still lurk around Carpe Noctem from time to time, but my activity on Neopets is really stagnant. I really dislike the direction Viacom took the site in, and how restrictive it became.

How did you like The Last of Us? That one is on my list of games to play. I keep hearing good things about it. The Saints Row series is... different. It's similar in style to the GTA series, only far, far, far over the top (I can't name any other game where you can beat people up with a giant dildo, for example). I wouldn't really recommend it to everyone, but it's pretty fun and the character custom builder is pretty great (although Skyrim's is leagues better).

I've also almost played the entire Mass Effect series... loved it to bit. Unfortunately I never got around to finishing the third instalment because the ending(s) got spoiled for me and made me lose motivation. Mass Effect 2 was my favourite one in the series by far. I've been hooked on the Elder Scrolls series for some time too. Kinda grew up a little on them. ^_^ They've always had the most interesting plots and that small attention to detail that so many other games miss.

I am not ashamed to admit that I'm attempting to 100% Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. Must get all of the Zoni. :D

6. Eve

Eve Resident

Aw, I hope that's not a bad thing, I only ever look fondly back at Seize the Night and what was pretty much the golden age of Neopets. I agree that Viacom killed it, but I also think it had taken that steep downhill curve all on its own. What ultimately drove me away was how commercial and focused on money raking it suddenly became with premium accounts and neocash. Plus all the good roleplaying guilds - and more importantly the players - just up and disappeared.

I really enjoyed The Last of Us, it's definitely as good as everyone says it is. Being a long time supporter of Naughty Dog (Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted ♥) I was expecting it to be good from the get go, but it was really great. Everyone's been raving about the strong story, great graphics, and relatable characters - which are all superb - but what really sold me was the immersion factor. The game really sucks you in and makes you feel for these characters, you actually want them to survive instead of just feeling like, yeah, they're the main characters, they have to survive.

It's too bad the Mass Effect ending was spoiled for you though, but I imagine it would have been for everyone who didn't play it immediately on release day and ended up getting caught up in the huge backlash that it got once everyone saw it. I bought the game on release day and finished it just about when everyone else did and while I felt the ending was a little cheap, I wasn't outright and thoroughly disappointed with it.

After playing Skyrim I really wish I had gotten into the Elder Scrolls a lot sooner, cause after that playing the previous installments just didn't feel as grand. Still really good games though. Have you played Dragon Age? I haven't yet but I heard they're pretty good, and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one trying to 100% A Crack in Time. I got a lot of love for the Ratchet & Clank series.

7. I am looking forward to DA Inquisition :) I am still on a second run-through of DA origins, and havent even touched DAII, mostly due to ... no time, really. I utterly utterly liked DA origins. But I couldnt get into Mass Effect or Skyrim, even when the guy sitting next to me plays it.

Welcome :)

8. Lady B

Lady B Guest

That is SO COOL, Eve!!! So.. you are kinda like what they do on CSI? or more like Ducky on NCIS?!? LOVE those shows, and Bones! Seems like an interesting career. :) And I wish you luck with either! That's incredible!

Looking forward to seeing your new RP. :) And... amen to music! LOVE IT! :D

~Lady B

9. Eve

Eve Resident

Ello there Daenelia, nice to meet you. I'll take that as a fervent recommendation then.

Hey Lady B, nice to meet you too. I can't speak for everyone in this profession - as I'm sure things are much more exciting in a big city - but I will say this about my personal experience as a forensic investigator in a smaller city. While we work closely with local, county, and even state law enforcement, we are not cops. We have badges but not guns and no arrest powers, and we certainly don't go chasing any bad guys. We are almost always the last people to show up to a scene after it has been secured - the police are first, then the fire department and medical services if needed - and what we do is almost entirely centered around the body - collecting evidence on and around it, determining time of death, and prepping the body for transfer to the morgue. When we receive the body we take inventory of its belongings, take its fingerprints, take photographs, and then prep the body for autopsy. The medical examiner - or coroner in some places - does the autopsy, we assist during that process and clean up afterwards, putting the body into cold storage until either their family comes to claim them or - in the case of a Jane or John Doe - the state does. Ninety percent of the time we are dealing with accidents or suicides and not high profile murder cases and the like. We also handle bodies from nursing homes and hospices in wrongful death cases, where an elderly person has died while in the care of a doctor or nurse. We've even autopsied a dog on one occasion, which was super weird, but as I mentioned to Invisie a lot of the time we are just sitting at our desks writing reports. It's interesting, yes, but on the whole just really gross and monotonous. Those shows are good though, even if they do glamorize things, but that's the point, since it would otherwise be really boring if it were true to life. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.