Forum+Mechanics

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Asparagos, Oct 5, 2016.

?

What has been your overall experience with sites blending writing and rpg mechanics?

1. More Positive

2. More Negative

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Asparagos
    Probing

Asparagos Newcomer

How many of you have a roleplay based not only on writing, but also on an RPG mechanic that serves to patrol godmodding and add an extra level of competition? How long did it take you to hammer out a system you liked?

Alternatively, did it completely fail or just end up being too much for your audience?

Players, have you played a forum RPG that had this extra flavor? Do you like the fusion of literacy and stats?

My RPG is intended to be PVP based and the nature of the thing is a fighting universe (I know I'm being vague but I'm not technically supposed to advertise yet). I'm just wondering how most literate players feel about this dynamic, because that's the player I want to attract.

2. valucre
    Magical

valucre Resident Game Owner

I think designing a mechanic for PVP is more demanding than one that caps things like godmodding and adds layers to a competition

With my website we tie things like influencing the game world, quest completion, and artifact acquisition to roleplay activity. It isn't a requirement so much as something that's incentivized, so people can still opt-out and enjoy the site, but I find that it gets used quite a bit and that the interactions tend to be more positive than not

3. Muse
    Benevolent

Muse Newcomer Game Owner

I like having game mechanics in place for tracking progress, setting goals, and allowing for there to be some level of comparison between characters when conflict occurs. I consider my forum's mechanics to be very light, however. Nothing complicated so much as a foundation for narrative character development.

4. ShadowedSin

ShadowedSin Newcomer Game Owner

I have been on a few games where there were extensive mechanics and I ran one myself. There were a lot of thoughts that went through my head when I put together the current system I owned. In my previous games I used a rough stat system to equal power for the gae, but honestly, this just turns into a combat game. I run RPGs for storytelling even in my tabletop and I have slowly drifted away from "crunchy" number games years ago. Dice rolls are great if you want an RNG or random aspect to your story but a lot of players are -not going- to like the idea of random deciding the outcome of their story.

So I opted for an optional system. Stats cannot increase simply because that's not the point of the game. The stats facilitate what your character is good at and encourages people to think through the limits of their characters as well. We don't have XP because most players aren't going to be focusing on that they are going to be focusing on scheming and plotting.

valucre likes this.