Favorite RP Genre

Discussion in 'Chatterbox' started by Carv, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Carv

Carv Newcomer Game Owner

What's your favorite RP Genre? If you want to explain why that is your favorite, you can.
    My favorite RP Genre is mainly Anime.

2. Fawkes

Fawkes Newcomer Game Owner

I've RPed in a lot of genres but I always seem to go back to Harry Potter. I like the magic element to it.

3. SithLordOfSnark

SithLordOfSnark Resident Game Owner

X-Men. I will always join an X-Men site before anything else.

Archivist likes this.
  4. Archaeon
    Bookworm

Archaeon Resident Game Owner

It seems like everyone favours fandom games these days. Personally, I prefer original games because I feel less constrained by an already existing storyline. I appreciate that there are many, many people out there that will disagree with that of course! Having said that I have played in plenty of fandom games in the past (Star Trek, Stargate, Lovecraft, Tamora Pierce to name a few).

When it comes to original genres I tend to lean towards fantasy. Which is honestly a fabulously broad genre these days (just cast your eye over the fantasy section in the bookshop). I love games (and fiction) that allows scope for a touch of horror, a mixture of technologies, magic or the seemingly fantastic/supernatural and increasingly some sort of survival element. Whether that last is part of the genre/ set up itself or part of the plot is a complete coin toss admittedly.

Games that somehow manage to mix all of that (rather tall order) together with a decent forward moving plot tend to recieve my undying attention. There are other factors of course. But that is definitely my starting point these days.

5. Lure Master

Lure Master Resident Game Owner

Mine is anything sword and sorcery that takes place in a medieval-ish setting. This is why I lean towards D&D. It adds structure and a world with endless possibilities, so you do not need to know much about it, just some basics.

6. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

Sci-Fi is the top of my list, Stargate being my main fav. I do all 3 franchises with that. I'd love to do a decent Star Trek as well even willing to join another forum for that, but so far all the ST RPG's I've seen use the Nova base forum which is terrible imo. We've tried to get ST going on my forum, not much luck there.

Outside of that and the occasional Star Wars, I do originals as well and I love Fantasy. I've done LOTR themed RP's and Lure you'll be surprised, we're doing our version of Neverwinter Nights :D

7. Lure Master

Neverwinter Nights, I tried the online game of it and really enjoyed it, :) What I was hoping separated my site from others is that I created a D&D v3.5 character generator that is integrated into the forum (permission granted from Hasbro), so you create, and then RP your character. As you RP, you gain experience and can level up to approx. level 30 (- ECL). So it's interactive and fun, just need to get the word out, :) With that said though, the focus is still on writing/role playing/story telling.

Mim likes this.
  8. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

Sounds utterly awesome Lure, I wish I had the time to join with you on that. NWN is totally addictive Lol. I'm 30 now and I still play it when I'm bored.

Lure Master likes this.
  9. Piyo

Piyo Fresh Blood

This is exactly how I feel. I love any of this fantasy-adventuring RP, it plays right into my imagination. This kind of genre is also the main type that ill read and look for in a book.

Lure Master and Mim like this.
  10. Lure Master

Thanks, :). Speaking of NWN, I'm currently working on a new theme for my site that is loosely based on the style of that game. I'm curious to see how it turns out. So far I am liking it far better than the current theme I am using.

Mim likes this.
  11. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

Let me know if you need some graphics help. Be glad to do it :D

Lure Master likes this.
  12. Lure Master

Thank for your offer, :). The only thing I can think of right now, is if you can keep an eye out for an avatar that best represents a guest viewing a forum. I have a ton of avatars on my PC and went through them all and can't find one that best suits a lurker, grrrrr

Hopefully, I'll have some SS's of the new style to post in the near future, :)

Mim likes this.
  13. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

maybe this? [​IMG]

14. Lure Master

Although I do love Spy vs Spy, that won't fit the new theme. Something more in the lines of our avatar's we are currently using. I had the NWN game but can't find it anymore, does it have a default avatar? I can't recall as it has been a while since I played it.

Mim likes this.
  15. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

Lure Master likes this.
  16. Verridith
    Haunting

Verridith QUEEN of GOLD !! Game Owner

High fantasy here! I love the freedom and creativity that comes along with it. Can't do many other genres anymore, there's too little wiggle room to do what I want to do. xD

17. Lure Master

I kind of figured that, :) I just don't know you enough to have been totally sure, you are a rogue after all :p

I been through a lot of different pictures/avatars related to D&D, and still nothing I have found that would make a great lurkers avatar. I still keep my eyes open, and will go through the images you linked to. Thank-you for that, :)

Mim likes this.
  18. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

hehehehhe yep.NWN is pretty much where I got my handle from Lol. Fav character I made, a half elf multi-class Rogue/Fighter/Cleric. Weird eh? :D

Lure Master likes this.
  19. Lure Master

I would say it would depend on the environment. For example, in Skullport, many residents would dabble in the thieving side, not just for the potential for more gold but also for the hamstringing/back-stabbing abilities to make survival a little easier. It is a town of pirates, cutthroats, and all that, so I would say a cleric that can fight, disarm traps, or magically hold people while they rob them would fit right in to that setting. Certainly far more so than a druid/wizard (my primary character I role play) would :p

Mim likes this.
  20. Mim
    Relaxed

Mim Resident Game Owner

Love Druids, I just never thought they were powerful enough, though I did use them a few times. Sorcerers much the same; lots of mage power but weak as anything everywhere else. I often played with my brother, he always went for a Dwarven Defender, whipped my mages dozens of times until I was able to gather enough awesome trinkets along the way :D