Do you like to mess with your character's lives?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by LunarRain015, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Legends Are Lessons

Legends Are Lessons Newcomer Game Owner

I thought every writer did? xD Yes absolutely!

2. Yona Carlin

Yona Carlin Newcomer Game Owner

It's less about messing with their lives and more about being able to set up a character that can live and breathe organically through various situations. And if some of those situations are messy? Welp!

3. callielizz

callielizz Fresh Blood

I LOVE the drama IC. It's basically where I can put out my frustrations, liked plots from shows, and crazy creativeness out into the world!

4. Somniac
    Busy

Somniac Resident Game Owner

I've wrote characters with nice lives, for about two or three posts.

Either my most active characters are living a disaster or making it for others.

I really hope I'm not responsible for some Stranger Than Fiction lives.

5. Swoopingjobberknolls
    Busy

Swoopingjobberknolls Newcomer Game Owner

Actually, I have a bad (for a writer anyway) tendency to fix everything and have everything go smoothly. I need outside interference from the plot or other characters, or I reeeeeally have to force myself to throw a wrench at certain characters.

6. sora
    Dreaming

sora Newcomer Game Owner

I definitely mess with/ruin my characters lives! I love to throw chaos at them, and see how they react. Of course, always in moderation/when appropriate. I don't just make them go through trial after trial, because chaos would lose its appeal if that's all you ever had. So, it's a balancing act.... But I do love that chaos!

Somniac likes this.
  7. Louis

Louis Newcomer

My character (Louis, as you see him) is a living miracle. He's survived torture, war and plague. It pretty much says it all!

8. soar

soar Newcomer Game Owner

Of course! Especially when it encourages character development in my own characters as well as my RP partners' characters

9. Squishy24601

Squishy24601 Resident Game Owner

There are certain characters I LOVE to mess with, and then there are characters I dare not touch a hair on their precious little heads...it's complicated and depends on the character and the relationship I have on them and what I think they can handle.

10. Lasciel
    Chatty

Lasciel Newcomer

A few years ago I would have answered a simple whole hearted yes, I love torturing my characters... But recently I've come to realize that I need there to be balance. I get, well, depressed if nothing ever goes right for characters (those I'm reading and writing now that I think about it). I need the contrast of celebration and victory to make those losses and hardships starker and poignant. Sometimes it feels like people are deliberately hosing their characters just to create drama and that can cause my interest to wane quickly.

11. Pigboy
    Batty

Pigboy Newcomer

For sure, that's half the point of roleplaying, to put a character into dangerous and challenging situations for the entertainment of ourselves and others.

Sometimes it can be nice to write a slice-of-life type of story that just explores ordinary aspects of the character's life, however, especially if they're needing some downtime after a, particularly challenging episode.

12. I absolutely love challenging my characters and putting them in situations they would not typically find themselves in. It promotes growth and development soooo much. Granted it doesn't always have to be chaos - those chill threads and moments are just as vital.

13. RaeBae
    Badass

RaeBae Newcomer Game Owner

I am CHAOS! As in sometimes I straight up make a list of unexpected things and and roll a dice. I love pushing my characters to see how they can handle a situation, and sometimes it works out terrible for them, but that's fine with me ahahhaa

14. DFedora
    Bookworm

DFedora Newcomer Game Owner

A lot of development can't happen if a character's life is static, so I really do prefer throwing some curveballs at characters to see what happens. Conflict is the driving point of a plot, be it personal conflict or something bigger than the characters. It has to make sense though. I've seen a lot of people just throw exhausting drama at characters, a lot of it empty and pointless, and I just cannot see the point of it. If a character can't eventually realise the why, how, whatever aspects of situations, whether they agree with them or not, I don't feel like it's valuable.

I've had a lot of super pointless stuff be forced on me by others just because they wanted to shoehorn in a pointlessly dramatic storyline that I wasn't on board with at all. But you play along, you know? Because this is all collaborative! But if it gets one-sided like that I'm way more likely to just carefully extricate myself from the situation and avoid them.

15. fishbulb
    Bookworm

fishbulb Newcomer Game Owner

I recently created a character that was supposed to be temporary, to fill a role in my RPG until someone else wanted to take over the spot. I've left his history open to be fired, arrested, even killed. But now I've gotten attached to him and I know I'll cry for sure if anything bad happens to him, even though it will be fun :P

16. Cootie
    Batty

Cootie Newcomer Game Owner

I don’t necessarily do it all the time, but my characters tend to attract or produce some level of chaos intermittently and I greatly appreciate it for the entertainment of me and everyone else involved lmao.

I try to maintain a level I can keep up with though because nothing makes me sadder than lots of stuff happening IC and then IRL keeping me from enjoying it ;0;

17. MeganChan

MeganChan Resident Game Owner

I do all the time. Sometimes I make their life really difficult, poor things. XD