Do directories work?

Discussion in 'Business & Marketing' started by VirusZero, Feb 20, 2014.

1. VirusZero

VirusZero Resident Game Owner

In your experience, do you find that directories actually work for you?

Have you ever had much luck with them?

If you don't think they work, why do you think they don't work?

2. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

This is a yes and no kind of answer (and has changed a lot over the years). If your entire marketing strategy relies on just submitting to directories, you are going to get minimal results.

Directories really only benefit brand-spanking new websites. If your site is already listed in DMOZ (which is what feeds many search engines), then there is really no need to submit your site to any directories (I consider submitting to directories to be extra icing on the cake). Older, established sites really do not benefit as much from listing themselves in directories. They're almost always heavily indexed by DMOZ/Google and other search engines already.

In short, directories are not the way to get members fast. They can however help spread the word, get your site indexed, and then help feed you new members via search results.

3. VirusZero

VirusZero Resident Game Owner

I'm more referring to directory sites like here or the other various ones (rpg-d, caution, atf, shine, seiryuu, etc...)

DMOZ is much larger and I don't even know how effective it really is. So I might try resubmitting to it later, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

4. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

I think in that case, I'd refer to them as more so roleplay directory communities. From what I can tell, the site submissions don't get you very far, but advertising in your signature might if you happen to be an active member. So they can help you get more members in that respect. (In my experience, I tend to get an influx of visitors who don't join and are just looking for another free ad board. Sometimes though.)

Although I think their greater benefit is the advice you can get is from interacting with other members of these communities (whether it be graphics, HTML, management, or what have you).

I've probably gotten the best click-through:registration ratio for my sites by having them in my signature on forums that are not directly/solely related to roleplaying. Writing communities, programming communities, Gaia Online (which has roleplay elements), and so on. I think a large part of it is that these RPG communities/directories (keep in mind, I'm also talking about RPGfix here), although separate, are kind of like an echo chamber. They feed/share the same member base. So you need to find ways in order to attract a wider audience, and those who aren't just in that one particular niche.

5. Elena
    Arthritic

Elena Resident Game Owner

I think directories do work, combined with the other advertising systems. There is no one exclusively to work, but all of them together create the needed exposure.

Shriker likes this.
  6. Zozma
    Unlucky

Zozma Spider Demon Game Owner

I think all my members that have actually stuck around came through word of mouth/friends/friends of friends, save two. One of them came through an affiliate and the other came because she liked me on a directory site. So short answer, not really. I haven't found listing with directories beneficial at all. It's better to just have it in a signature on every site (where allowed) and do it that way.

Shriker likes this.
  7. The answer is yes. If you want to be lazy about advertising then just posting in directories will get you a minimal amount of players, but it will get your players.

My favorite advertising places are those that offer interactive communities (like this one).

To get a full grasp on advertising you need to have several different means to it. Over all I do think they help as long as you take care of your ad. Posting it then letting it sit does not do as much good.

Elena likes this.