Discord RP hubs

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by Aisling, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Aisling
    Busy

Aisling Newcomer Game Owner

What are some thoughts on discord hubs?
    I personally use forum RP so the concept of discord RP is more new to me. is there a different sort of culture in this more rapide fire environment?

2. Teneo Lupum

Teneo Lupum Newcomer

If you are looking for a server that calls itself a hub, you're going to find a place where people mostly advertise for 1x1 RP. Most allow servers used to actually roleplay to advertise there. You may find some are more community-minded than others and they can tend to have a general atmosphere to them. I personally prefer hubs that feel calmer and don't have a clique-y feel to them. Some hubs have open walk-in or drop-in/drop-out RP channels in them that tend to be very general settings where any character could potentially show up.

The culture is pretty similar but since there's a larger ability to interact OOC, you'll find that more on Discord than on a forum site. That's been my experience. Some of the terms used can be slightly different too but not by much.

3. Bees

Bees Newcomer Game Owner

There's some appeal to RPing on Discord -- it's much easier to use on your phone than your average forum, you get quick notifications of what's happening, and it's more private. But I prefer to use forums, as Discord RP's can get difficult to organize -- there's no way to "archive" a thread on Discord; you usually just end up using the channel for another thread, and it can be quite difficult to scroll back through and re-read threads, which is something I love doing.

That said most of the Discord RPing I've done has been 1 on 1. I did try to make an 8-person group once but it didn't work very well -- admittedly could have been fixable if I'd done a better job as admin, though.

4. Fell

Fell Newcomer

I've tried to wrap my head around this, but I saw more complications with the method than positives.

I'm one of those people who prefers room to make posting tables, posts I can look back on without scrolling endlessly up, and organization can be better too without going over the obvious.

5. I have mixed feelings about RP on Discord. It's more rapid-fire with the pros of lower word count, quick responses, and such. But it has some major cons. Do to how fast-paced it can be, I've found that a set time/day is best for these which can make scheduling difficult. It's almost like trying to schedule a DnD session. That can make it more stressful as you're trying to write in large quantities on the fly. I personally prefer forum RPs because of this. And then I have my DnD sessions on a separate schedule.