Are you a Canadian?

Discussion in 'Chatterbox' started by Lure Master, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Lure Master

Lure Master Resident Game Owner

If you are, who is your ISP/TV provider? And how are they? I'm with bellaliant, and have had nothing but problems. I get errors with netflix, pausing errors on TV channels, and they rotate my IP's so much that my email servers blacklist me.

I lived for four years in the US, paid something like 150 a month for the internet, TV, and 2 cell phones and never had any service issues. Here I pay 350 a month for the internet/TV and one cell phone, and nothing but problems. Rogers is just as bad from my research. There are a lot of perks being Canadian, service is not one of them.

2. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

I'm not a typical user. I pay $40/m for my phone with Wind Mobile. Their coverage varies depending on province. Great for large cities though. My internet is good, but I don't do much downloading other than video games and the occasional streaming. $44.95/m with TekSavvy for 30/5 mbs down and up. I also have unlimited data usage between 2am and 8am, so I schedule my Steam updates for between those times. I do not have a television plan.

If I wanted "better" internet, it's really a toss up between Shaw and Telus here in Alberta (they both have delicious fiber connections, but it's also very much location dependent). Shaw has a 150/15 for $49.90/year one, then $79.90 for year two. Telus is now trying to compete with them with a 150/150 plan for $80/m.

Lure Master likes this.
  3. Lure Master

Lure Master Resident Game Owner

Wow, what a difference in price between Alberta and the Maritimes. It's not so much the price out here that bothers me, it is how bad the service is. Since I went to FibreOp two years ago, my upload/download speeds decreased, a lot. You also take a chance pausing a TV show as it may not play again until you reset the cable box.

The NetFlix channel on the TV is really awful. Errors like: "rights protected content", and "something went wrong" pops up daily now, and bell/netflix can't/refuse to fix them. Also, pausing a series on Netflix, works, but when you press play, it plays again for a few seconds then pauses for a few more minutes (and sometimes the series you are watching disappears from the play list).

Our population in the Maritimes is so small that Bell is not going to invest any money to fix any issues out here. My father has Rogers, and he has nothing but problems as well.

4. odd
    Moonlighting

odd Resident Patron Game Owner

WHAT. I'm with Shaw and I think I pay about $99/month for our high speed internet? And we do use Netflix regularly then through our PS4

Then I use Telus for cellphone. They're rubbish, but better than the alternatives I think for where I live (YYC)

5. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

@odd Oh hi, fellow Calgarian. TekSavvy generally uses Shaw lines for last mile connections. So they tend to be just as good.

Also... Freedom mobile was pretty bad ~3-4 years ago in Calgary, but I've had zero issues with them for over a year now. They really upped their coverage game.

6. LasValencia

LasValencia Newcomer Game Owner

7. behemoth

behemoth Newcomer

Alberta, Canada here!

8. mystic by moonlight
    Amused

mystic by moonlight Newcomer Game Owner

Manitoba here. and Yes cable and internet prices are insane. I had BellMTS for the longest time and it was pricey and half the time the wireless wasn't even at full speed and they couldn't give me a reason why. I switched to shaw and it's been great still pricey but at least it works all the time.