Age auth for forums

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by Aisling, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Aisling
    Busy

Aisling Newcomer Game Owner

For those who do 18+ environments only; do you do honor system or age auths?

How do you do your age auths?

2. Star Army
    Spaced

Star Army Resident Game Owner

Is there really a good way of doing this? I just require their birth date and automatically deny any registrations that aren't 18. If we find out anyone lied about this they're immediately banned for violating the site terms of use.

3. Boneshakers
    Badass

Boneshakers Newcomer Game Owner

I pretty much do the same at Star Amy. It is really hard to use fool-proof age verification unless you use a commercial service which usually cost money and most members don't like it.

4. Bees

Bees Newcomer Game Owner

I use the honor system, but even asking for a birthdate would basically be the honor system anyway -- it's so easy (and normalized) to lie. That said, my forum doesn't actually allow sexual content, so the stakes aren't as high when it comes to making sure people are in the proper age range.

5. FerociousUniverse
    Adorable

FerociousUniverse Newcomer Game Owner

We require all visitors to pass an age check when they first visit the site, and members do the same when they register. But this is pretty much an honor system as anyone can lie on the age check form. But I think it works in terms of doing our due diligence.