We are open since August 2010 and going strong! And we are writing a swashbuckling adventure story which is waiting for your contribution too. So, join us and let's write it together, because we are here to stay!
A long eventful year passed. Now it's 1720 in the West Indies. Peace is to be signed soon, and the former enemies will get allied against the common foe - pirates, looting indiscriminately. Privateers remain in the business only for hunting pirates. Will our pirate crew survive?
Sea fights, duels, plenty of swashbuckling adventures, intrigues of all kinds, mutiny, romance, betrayal - Before the Mast brings to live the Age of Sail like none before. Be ye a pirate, a naval officer, a slave or a lady, you will find a place aboard one of our four ships or live on a paradise island.
There is no Sparrow here, mate. Enjoy our gritty, realistic historical setting if you like learning about those times while getting immersed in weaving our original story.
You may choose any playby you want, and character opportunities abound: we have 4 ships of various allegiances to crew and islands belonging to the French and British crown to populate. Mostly adult characters, teenagers do exist, but they are rare. Men aboard any ship are strongly recommended as first characters.
For those who are fans of secrets, we have these too; almost nobody is what they seem to be: the tavern owners and barmaids are spying for the pirates, the former French governor was involved in shady deals with the pirates, a humble octoroon slave might be a lady in disguise, the former privateer captain has killed the previous one in a mutiny…
What we offer:
- A friendly writing community, without OOC drama or cliques, with friendly and dedicated staff, in a game which has won RPG-D and RPG-U Forum of the Fortnight/ respectively Month awards, RPG Conference's Originality Award and 2011 Simming Prize.
- An original real life site within a historical setting, without magic/ special powers.
- a semi-advanced to advanced site, with help for the newbies provided. Word count is of one paragraph, not difficult to achieve, given that not everybody has English as mother tongue, but there are enough people who post 400 words or more (without any requirement of matching posts).
- A wild variety of plots and subplots where everybody can find something to his or her liking
- Special community events and a monthly newsletter focusing on plots, characters and players.
- Help with character applications and quick approval
- Extensive information regarding the historical facts – no more torturing the poor Google on your own!
What we are looking for:
Dedicated and interested players. While we understand that real life comes first, it is also true, that a roleplaying game is a community project and other players might desperately wait for you to post. Therefore, we are looking for players, who are willing and able to post regularly.
Activity requirement is posting at least once a week in each thread you have (unless you post an "away" notice - we understand about holidays, exams, etc.). We are medium active (new posts every day, but not in every thread).
We don't expect you to be a history professor or anything, just to be willing to learn and to keep your character true to the historical circumstances.
Come live with us BEFORE THE MAST!
Sharpen your blades, load your guns, drain that last sip of rhum and join our adventures!