Web Hosting for Character Roster

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Asparagos, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Asparagos
    Probing

Asparagos Newcomer

Hey folks! I'm Asparagos (or Zeek if you prefer). I'm currently working on a DBZ RPG based in both mechanics and literacy as an option for folks whose other options are illiterate, clunky or hateful environments. I won't go much more into that since I lack the post requirement for proper advertising.

Anyway, I'm looking for a hosting service that allows me and my members to organize and update character sheets. I'm thinking some sort of wiki. For now it needs to be free, but paid functionality down the road is a plus.

I've looked at the sticky but this sort of usefulness wasn't specifically addressed, so I started a new thread. Thanks for reading and offering your experience!

-Z

2. SithLordOfSnark

SithLordOfSnark Resident Game Owner

In all the years I've been roleplaying, I've never actually come across anything like this.

3. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

I write custom solutions for this sort of thing: https://shadowlack.com/characters

For hosted things though, it depends on the amount of customization you need for your character sheets.
    I'll come back to this if I stumble across any more. :)

4. Asparagos
    Probing

Asparagos Newcomer

I'm only really competent enough with code to follow simple instructions, lol.

It's not a complicated sheet I just need to be able to moderate changes. I don't mind updating it myself I just figure folks like being involved in things like maintenancing their character.

I've used roll20 for tabeltop games, but I think that might be a little too much navigating to keep the process simple. I'm looking into charahub, though, as I've never heard of it.

Thanks for your help!

5. Asparagos
    Probing

Asparagos Newcomer

There's a site I used to play on that used something called Wiki Foundry but when I tried to start one up I got weird feels that made me think its not actually in operation anymore or its been compromised somehow.

IDK as a player I really enjoyed the upkeep. It also keeps me from doing work as an admin, haha. But my game is in the baby stages.

6. Morrigan
    Cloud_9

Morrigan Resident Game Owner

You may want to think about maybe doing a Wiki? Because you could manage changes and even revert changes that are made on a per sheet basis. It also means in the future as you figure out wiki you can start to cross attach character sheets.

Basically you would create a main page that has the character's names in the wiki style to create a page. Then the person would be able to edit and put their stuff on the character page.

7. Asparagos
    Probing

Asparagos Newcomer

Do you know of specific sites I could use? I tried fandom but it seemed like literally anyone on fandom could change my wiki, which isn't really what I want. Maybe I'm just ignorant on how it's actually used.

8. Morrigan
    Cloud_9

Morrigan Resident Game Owner