Resource site and advertising

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by thewanderer2156, Sep 16, 2017.

1. thewanderer2156

thewanderer2156 Newcomer Game Owner

Hello all!,
    I'm trying to get my board up and started and I am curious what you all find is the best method of getting your site out there?

Thank you in advance!
    O.J.

2. SithLordOfSnark

SithLordOfSnark Resident Game Owner

Resource sites are the best. Use site requests, specific character requests, and their directory. People will join, just give it time.

3. White Canary

White Canary Newcomer Game Owner

Resource sites and other RP forums are usually the best way. I've also advertised on tumblr and twitter before too

4. The best answer, wherever you find an audience. Essentially it will always depend on several things

A/ The genre (are people interested in this?)

B/ The look and feel of your site. This is something that will grab attention immediately

C/ Your plot/backstory. That needs to be solid.

D/ Lastly, how good a salesman you are. You need to sell what you have to offer, it needs to be more appealing than your competition.

ScottRyder and Elena like this.
  5. For me it's been mixed, the majority has been word of mouth via Discord. Tumblr is working well for us too.

6. Now there is a good question. How do you use Tumblr for advertising? I only see it as a image resource.

7. SithLordOfSnark

There are several advertisement tumblr's. Tumblr is used for many things. Even roleplaying.

ZeroVakarian likes this.
  8. starfire
    Asleep

starfire Newcomer Game Owner

Hey, ZeroVakarian! I'm interested in hearing how you've used Discord. (I'm new to the program, actually.) I know you can have a server set up for the RPG (and we have one, actually), but how do you get the word out to other Discord users?

9. So my RP is a Star Trek one, so I joined a Trek discord. I mentioned running an RPG when I introduced myself and a couple of people reached out. Though I don't recommend joining somewhere solely to recruit.

The Mother and Death Kitten like this.
  10. starfire
    Asleep

starfire Newcomer Game Owner

Aaah, thanks for the info. :) I'm pretty new to Discord, but other mods on our site aren't, so I may relay this info to them. I'm eager to learn, though. Discord seems like such a great community/networking resource!

11. Honeylove
    Busy

Honeylove Newcomer Game Owner

I primarily advertise by dropping ads on other sites, but I'm reaching out and starting to look into more directories (I've previously only been actively involved in a couple) and hoping that helps :) The internet is a big place, so I figure its just a matter of time to reach out to all the corners lol

12. SithLordOfSnark

Resource sites are where most active members come from. I still drop ads at sites, but I'm not expecting them to work.

13. Honeylove
    Busy

Honeylove Newcomer Game Owner

I've been out of the advertising game for a while, so I have a lot of resource sites to join and advertise on lol. I'm slowly digging up more to get to. Apparently I joined this site in 2012 which I think shows I had the right mind set but didn't follow through LOL.

14. SithLordOfSnark

LOL.

15. Tella
    Batty

Tella Newcomer Game Owner

I'm posting here because I need this help too, I've started an RP site (I've been roleplying for a long time, this is also not the first site I made.) and this is my first Orginal/non fandom site. And man oh man I'm working my but off trying to get it out there. I do advertise on other sites, post on resource sites and I affiliate (which if you guys want to affiliate some of your sites. Let me know!) but I'm not getting much, any other ideas?

The Mother likes this.
  16. ScottRyder

ScottRyder Newcomer Game Owner

Personally when I started JTTS I had it as a soft opening. Soon as we got some threads and content up which people could jump into right away I spent a solid 2 days doing nothing but advertising. Every single site in every single category on RPG-D got hit with an ad. It was taxing but got the boost we needed to start.

Since then I haven't touched another ad. I do the voting site things and that's it. My co-admin does the link backs when we get some in on the site but most of our members have come in through the initial ads and word of mouth. Eventually we'll need to do more advertising but so far so good.

So my advice go on an advertising rampage until your fingers hurt and you can't stand searching for another ad board haha!

17. Tartle
    Batty

Tartle Resident Game Owner

I myself am going to be working on getting several things set up for advertising and considering removing our actual advertising forum. I feel like it isn't the greatest method for SIO. I am looking into, TvTropes (JUST dicovered this), tumblr, and instagram. Tumblr and instagram you can link together so why not use both sources?? My thoughts is that hashtags are a great way to place a link in several areas. The typical advertising forums you see on all rpg forums are insanely time consuming with little to no results, not to mention I hate it. I would also not like that mass amount of links leading out of my site either....

18. Elena
    Arthritic

Elena Resident Game Owner

This helps with SEO, google ranking and all...

19. There is a section for that right here on Fix.
    Here in Classifieds

Tella and ScottRyder like this.
  20. kaydrew

kaydrew Newcomer

I usually do adverts on other rps as well as put our sites on directories. I adore entering rp contests as well. However, I am still trying to find more ways to spread the word.

Elena likes this.