Who would voice your character(s)?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Shriker, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

Is there any person (living or dead) who you feel fits the role of your character's voice perfectly? Anyone who you see them sounding exactly like? Do you sometimes create a voice acting cast for stories that you write? Tell me all about them! :)

2. Elena
    Arthritic

Elena Resident Game Owner

No, I usually imagine the voice of the playby. Or something else only in my imagination... which doesn't need anything concrete.

3. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

@Elena I probably could have worded the question better. I think that if a person is using a playby, and is also using/imagining their playby's voice, then it totally counts. :) As (most) playbys would already have a recognizable voice that people associate with.

That also makes me wonder: how many people default to using their playby's voice? I'd imagine that nearly everyone would.

4. Icarus243
    Balanced

Icarus243 Newcomer

I mainly use my imagination really. I like Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, and Peter Cullen's voices quite a lot tho.

5. rhysie

rhysie Newcomer

I will always use a playby, so I just youtube clips of them to hear their voice and get a feel of how they act to help influence character personality.

6. Zozma
    Unlucky

Zozma Spider Demon Game Owner

I default to the playby's voice if they're real life playbys and I've actually heard them. But I use some models that I've never heard so I just imagine a voice that fits my character. Also, true story, I picked up a want ad years and years ago for a Jensen Ackles character. At the time, I wasn't into Supernatural and had never seen anything with him in it. I didn't know how his voice sounded and didn't bother looking up videos of him until after my writing partner said "He's so perfect, I can hear him saying these things!" Curious, I looked up videos and I was surprised as hell at how deep his voice sounded.

Now it's habit for me to look up videos of playbys and watch them in action and hear their voices but yeah, like I said, some of them don't have any videos and they're just pictures so I imagine it.

For illustrated playbys, generally I use playbys from things I've never actually played or watched because I have kind of a problem reconciling the character they are from mine. Like... I couldn't use Naruto as a character other than Naruto, if that makes sense. For them, I do like looking up actual voice actors for them and usually have a topic where members can share voice actors with everybody.

7. Miss Astro

Miss Astro Newcomer

What a question! I watch a lot of cartoons so sometimes one of those voices just slips into my head. I take a lot of my play bys from models rather than actors so I don't really know what they sounded like. For example on an old site, I used Francisco Lachowski as my play by but his voice was that of The Flash from Justice League...

8. Skysails

Skysails Newcomer Game Owner

Most of my characters have their own "voices" but for whatever reason I always pick a different singing voice for them. Like for right now, every time I hear that Boom Clap song on the radio I think of her as having my main girl's voice, only when it's deeper.

9. Marah

Marah Newcomer

Usually, if I know my face claim's speaking voice, I'll imagine them being their "voice actor" too, with the appropriate accent if they have one. Otherwise they have their own voices, so I don't really know if I'd choose a voice actor for them lol.

10. LordAo

LordAo Newcomer

Cumberbatch Maybe? Chris Pratt? (Zero idea how to spell both those names. Zero.) Morgan Freeman for the wise sage? It's a hard call.

11. lion
    Classy

lion Newcomer

Most of my characters end up being voiced by Chinese or Korean people. I don't know why. Maybe because I watch too many Kdramas? lol

12. Vastrix

Vastrix Newcomer

I think I would have Andrew Garfield voice Johnathan Mills

13. Jenn

Jenn Newcomer

Morgan Freeman. XD

14. JAnderson
    Amused

JAnderson Newcomer Game Owner

It's quite simple, since I use her pic for my characters avatar, but Sharon Stone would voice my character well.

15. Shiarrael
    Cold

Shiarrael Newcomer

I don't actually put much thought into character voices, but the ones I have defined voices for don't match the images I use for their avatars (as in, it's not the actor's voice). Typically if I'm giving them a voice, I know how they speak before I choose their appearance.

16. Thats Dj

Thats Dj Newcomer

I was watching one of the voice-over documentaries on netflix about 2-3 months ago and I think I'd go with John William DiMaggio and Tristan Wilds (The Wire)

17. I don't voice cast my characters, but in the case of one of them, I have Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly) so I'd say it'd be Jewel who would voice her, though she'd speak more along the lines of the way Inara speaks, with more proper language than what Kaylee uses.

18. Baphomet

Baphomet Newcomer

I don't usually picture a specific person for a voice - I like to describe tone, accent, and the way a person talks as opposed to giving someone a reference. But if I absolutely had to pick, I really love David Beckham for some of my characters.

19. Anactoria
    Batty

Anactoria Newcomer Game Owner

I don't usually have a "voice actor" for my characters except occasionally for singing voices, but I definitely have a mental image (mental audio file?) of what most of them would sound like. When I used PBs, I rarely imagined the PB's voice. For example, I have a character who I used Eva Green as a PB for, and Eva Green has a low, kinda raspy, very sexy voice... my character has a higher, sweet, and clear voice.

20. DBane

DBane Newcomer

I've always been fond of Michael J. Fox He has already voiced a few characters from my child hood and I think that if I could choose I'd have him voice my RP characters.