How many RPG mediums have you tried so far?

Discussion in 'Role-Play Discussion' started by Shriker, Sep 1, 2014.

?

How many RPG mediums have you tried so far?

1. Pen & Paper (D&D, GURPS, etc.)

68.0%
  2. Live Action Roleplaying (LARP)

16.0%
  3. Play-by-Post / Chat / PBeM

96.0%
  4. Console Game (PlayStation, Xbox, Wii, etc.)

65.3%
  5. Computer Game (Steam, MMOs, WoW, Eve, etc.)

78.7%
  6. Mobile / Tablet

37.3%
  7. Board Game

48.0%
  8. Trading Card Game (MtG, etc.)

40.0%
  9. Other

10.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

What types of roleplaying games have you tried over the years? What is your favourite medium and why? Do you think that some mediums are better at telling a story than others?

Is there a medium that you would really like to try out? What's been stopping you from trying?

2. THE LOST GIRL

THE LOST GIRL Newcomer

I think the forum ones are largely popular these days but MMO's on your PC are an excellent way to kill time :D

3. Collapsible Myth
    Creative

Collapsible Myth Resident Game Owner

Started out role playing in City of Heroes and continue it one through The Secret World. Been enjoying the play by post type of role play and have been branching out in chatting through Skype or Slack.com.

4. Zozma
    Unlucky

Zozma Spider Demon Game Owner

Pretty much everything except formal LARPing and mobile/tablet for me. I say formal LARPing because I did "LARP" in a way as a child but it was just "I'm going to be Raphael, you be Leonardo. Let's go attack the Shredder! HI-YAH!" But it was kid stuff, not actual... LARPing. I think my favorite is still forum roleplaying... But I miss playing paperdolls.

Shriker and Elena like this.
  5. There will always be a warm fuzzy place in my heart for a good RPG of any kind. Who hasn't been outside pretending to be something else (As a kid or otherwise)? The imagination loves a good story. My favorite hands down would be the chat based. If I had to choose one it would be that.

Still. I love a good table top game or a good rpg on steam or a console. ARG! I just love stories!

In the end that is why we are here, right?

6. Kuzon

Kuzon Newcomer

As long as it is good role playing I am into it. Forum has always been my favorite though.

7. Helixagon

Helixagon Resident Game Owner

I've done most but notably, never done a tabletop RPG or LARPing. I reaaally reaaaally wanna try a tabletop sometime.

8. Iztak
    Sporty

Iztak Resident Game Owner

I started out on forum rpgs and it's still my favorite. I also play DnD and it's so hard! I'm so used to getting ample time to narrate my character and to mull over who they are and how they'd react, but there's so much pressure at the table! Not that anyone I play with is ever mean or anything, I just wish I felt as immersed as when I do writing it out.

I've tried to help my table-top roleplaying by choosing characters who I can pull off physically, and that helps.

9. theAfanc

theAfanc Newcomer

Wow, I definitely had every box checked XD [HASHTAG]#nerd[/HASHTAG]

Shriker likes this.
  10. Icarus

Icarus Fresh Blood

I've only ever tried it on bulletin boards and forums!

11. Divia
    Masquerade

Divia Newcomer

I've tried them all, except for LARP. I think I might be too shy to do live roleplay (and in costume), in front of others. *hides*

12. CarpeCorde

CarpeCorde Newcomer

I've always been in love with the forum role plays. It's just so easy to keep track of all yours and your partners post so you can go back over and read them. Not to mention, if one of us needs to take a hiatus, we can dive straight back into it without missing a beat.

Always been interested to try tabletop though... never really seen much of it done!

13. Kitsufox
    Caffeine Fix

Kitsufox Resident Game Owner

I strongly suggest you give LARP a try if you have a group near you! I dragged my feet about trying it for years and years.. and in the last year gave it a go and I haven't had so much fun in a long time. I'm a bit on the outgoing side and had some stage/acting experience, so I had an edge. But you could always write a character who is shy and then it's not you being shy :) It's you being in character.

14. russianspy24
    Boxed In

russianspy24 Newcomer Game Owner

Larping was fun when you were a kid. Now, too much work. I wouldn't do it... However, I'm a writer so I prefer PBeM. A far better way to create the world and characters--in my opinion, draws you in like books.

15. Icarus243
    Balanced

Icarus243 Newcomer

I prefer play by post. But I have done roleplaying in video games or on a mobile. PBeM is by far, still my favorite. It's the best way in my opinion.

16. Phantom

Phantom Newcomer

I started when I first played runescape back in '06 and I believe that was my first taste in MMOs. Ever since then, I've experimented with a lot of MMOs, Vidya game RPGS, DnD, forum PBP, android, Browser and trading card games. RPG is easily my favorite gaming category.

17. I have tried them all? >...> I guess my favorite is play-by-post and forum based. If I am extremely bored, I got to FB and my console. I think all have the potential of telling a great story. It is just according to comfort zone. Some people love LARPing. They can do great stories and act them out. Others like the "instant" gratification kind (play by post). *shrugs* I have done all formats it seems and I think each one has their own "master". That one person who makes it seem so easy and tells amazing stories. :D

18. Xexes255

Xexes255 Newcomer Game Owner

As far as roleplay goes, I've tried:

- PHPBB, MyBB, SMF, JCInk, PB, IF, IPB 1.3, IPB 3+
    - Webs.com, Wetpaint, Yuku, Ezboard
    - MUDs

Trinket likes this.
  19. Nathan Hunter
    Badass

Nathan Hunter Resident Game Owner

Started off with Magic and other card games myself but as I got older moved on to IRC games, eventually ending up with the group I'm in now during freshman year. Not sure about the exact time but somewhere between '98 and '99 I believe :)

20. Other than the child aged RP, I've mostly done forum based. Some one-on-one via IMS. I love forum games, but the larger the crowd sometimes there's always a few who ruin it. They think they're better than everyone else and get po'd and blow up in peoples faces big time when things don't go their way. Blame everyone but themselves. Other than that problem, forums are so fun (of course easier to run ones own to keep the riff raff out. Once they've proven what kind of member they can be.)